Magpie autoscan 5000

This is the place to discuss any general CB radio related topics. Getting started, installations, operation etc.
dipstick
Regular
Regular
Call Sign: M0VPL

Magpie autoscan 5000

Post by dipstick »

I just managed to pick up a new in the box magpie autoscan 5000 wooohooo this radio just looks quality. The power lead un used and mic bracket side screws all in the box with the instructions and original bill of sale.

I remember these from the mags of the 80's and being expensive but looking at it now it just oozes quality with a nice blue display which looks kind of different to others, like a glow about it. just hooked it up and all working fine. 4 watts out on high, ideally I would like this to be 6 if anyone knows if you can turn it up a little it would be useful to have 6w drive.

But wow what a find :lol: I am like a dog with 2 ******** at the moment lol

will have a play later and a listen, but one thing already noted it has a nice quiet receiver.

report back later with more.
C.B got me into radio. Ham radio followed later. I enjoy it all. pride and joy a FTdx9000D. FTdx3000D TS2000X 23cm
DR.E 400 DV 2m/70cm TR-751 2m wouxun KG-UV950P 4 mtrs FT-840 CB Superstar 360fm (got to be uniden)
sickboy
Radio Addict
Radio Addict

Re: Magpie autoscan 5000

Post by sickboy »

The blue display looks different because it's neon lamps it uses in the 7 segment displays. I think I remember reading that these were originally intended to be on the 934MHz band, but due to slow sales of the new 934 radios the developers decided to go with 27mhz. Might be wrong though.
Nice radios all the same :)
Embrace your inner muppet !
Kaliphan
Regular
Regular
Call Sign: M0

Post by Kaliphan »

It's an electroluminescent display, like the ones in video recorders.

4W to 6W is a waste of time, if i'm right they had a mosfet final which was rare when it was new and almost impossible to get now so I'd be turning down the powerto take some stress off it, not turning it up.
dipstick
Regular
Regular

Post by dipstick »

I have it hooked up and it seems sensitive with a low noise floor, and the channel display is cool, seems they did a switch on channel 19 version although this is one is channel 14 switch on. as for the power out I cant believe they would have it so close to popping the final at 4w as most uniden or Cybernet boarded radio's could go 6w or 7w even easily.

The only reason I want it higher is to driver a small linear which has a 10w input although it does work with 4w its output is lower, so 6w would be better if possible, I didn't buy the radio to sit in a cabinet and to look at, I want to use it. its a nice set to use and listen to.

cant find anything on the internet about its board or layout though, unless its an easy thing to do I will just leave it as is.
C.B got me into radio. Ham radio followed later. I enjoy it all. pride and joy a FTdx9000D. FTdx3000D TS2000X 23cm
DR.E 400 DV 2m/70cm TR-751 2m wouxun KG-UV950P 4 mtrs FT-840 CB Superstar 360fm (got to be uniden)
NightProwler
Veteran
Veteran
Call Sign: 163TM186

Post by NightProwler »

It was you then Dipstick? Damn it I was bidding like mad trying to get it but well done :thumbup: I do have a mint condition one here just missing the box and yours has a low serial number, It was me that asked the seller to put the serial number on as I believe there was only about 500 of them made. Lovely radios, Look after it.
Shorter of breath and one day closer to death
Kaliphan
Regular
Regular
Call Sign: M0

Post by Kaliphan »

I agree that it should be used, I just don't think it's worth the effort/risk trying to squeeze out an extra 2 watts but that's my opinion.

I also don't think you're going to get those 2 watts cos they weren't good for a lot more than 4W to begin with (they don't pop from the tweaking but they're static sensitive and running them harder makes them hotter which also makes them fail) but tweak away, the circuit has been posted here a couple of times, I've got a copy and if I can find it I'll post it.

Turns out you can buy the finals but they're about 9 quid each.
sonoma
Regular
Regular

Post by sonoma »

the only info I found on the radio is a schematic and the owners manual. not sure if you have either one. the page says A500 but the manual shows it as the 5000.

http://www.cbtricks.com/radios/magpie/a_500/index.htm
Transwarp
Veteran
Veteran
Call Sign: Viper

Post by Transwarp »

dipstick wrote: 11 May 2018, 10:45 I just managed to pick up a new in the box magpie autoscan 5000 wooohooo this radio just looks quality. The power lead un used and mic bracket side screws all in the box with the instructions and original bill of sale.

I remember these from the mags of the 80's and being expensive but looking at it now it just oozes quality with a nice blue display which looks kind of different to others, like a glow about it. just hooked it up and all working fine. 4 watts out on high, ideally I would like this to be 6 if anyone knows if you can turn it up a little it would be useful to have 6w drive.

But wow what a find :lol: I am like a dog with 2 ******** at the moment lol

will have a play later and a listen, but one thing already noted it has a nice quiet receiver.

report back later with more.
The Rolls Royce radio of CB/27/81 so don't be going inside it with a screwdriver committing sins, leave it alone as is and enjoy it.

You could specify little customisations for these radios back in the day when buying new, like it being set to 14 or 19 when you turn it on and a better adjacent channel filter. There is some history online somewhere (can't remember where I saw it) about how it came into being and the company who made it.

I had one myself and they are good.
Champion of IBTL Christmas Edition 2023.
Champion of IBTL Autumn 2022 Edition.
Mudslinger
Legend
Legend

Post by Mudslinger »

I know someone with a couple of these and they are a good radio, but I don't think they are as great as some people make out.

They are a PITA to wire replacement mics to, as the radio will change channel when you TX if you are not careful. And the channel change buttons often play up. To take the front off you need to desolder the mix socket inside from a very thin PCB.

Probably a nice radio to use occasionally, and to look at rather than a workhorse IMO.
Mudslinger - Simon
26TM274
26CT612

There is no such thing as a Fidelity 1000 which is too good to scrap.
dipstick
Regular
Regular

Post by dipstick »

I haven't touched it inside, not even taken the covers off to look, but have spoken to a few locals who say it sounds good and clear. and the receiver seems to be spot on, I like the sound from it being not harsh to listen to even with squelch open.

finding info on these isn't easy for sure.
Mudslinger
Legend
Legend

Post by Mudslinger »

If it works, keep it as it is.

Not only will it work better and live longer than if you try and get more power out of it, it will also be more desireably if you sell at a later date.
Mudslinger - Simon
26TM274
26CT612

NightProwler
Veteran
Veteran
Call Sign: 163TM186

Post by NightProwler »

I agree, Do not mess with it. Does it go straight to channel 14 or 19 when switched on? Standard they were 14 but you could request it being changed to switch to 19. I have a load of mic wiring diagrams here for them because as said you can not just put any mic on them. Mine has been changed to switch on to channel 19 and has the cyrstal filter fitted from factory. They were originally going to be made as 20M or 40M radios but the cost was too high so they become UK40 CB radios. Only about 500 made and I believe they were hand made too. I'll dig out what notes and stuff I have on them.
Shorter of breath and one day closer to death
dipstick
Regular
Regular

Post by dipstick »

NightProwler wrote: 11 May 2018, 20:58 I agree, Do not mess with it. Does it go straight to channel 14 or 19 when switched on? Standard they were 14 but you could request it being changed to switch to 19. I have a load of mic wiring diagrams here for them because as said you can not just put any mic on them. Mine has been changed to switch on to channel 19 and has the cyrstal filter fitted from factory. They were originally going to be made as 20M or 40M radios but the cost was too high so they become UK40 CB radios. Only about 500 made and I believe they were hand made too. I'll dig out what notes and stuff I have on them.

I am not going to touch it, it sounds good and if i need more that 4w i can switch radio's. It switches on with channel 14 I shall leave it like that, original and all that. but it does sound good, and with a BHi speaker even better. and yes please pass on any info you have, I would like a read through, cheers!
dipstick
Regular
Regular

Post by dipstick »

Anyone interested there is another one on ebay!

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Auto-Scan-50 ... SwzrNa9yRX
Mudslinger
Legend
Legend

Post by Mudslinger »

I cannot understand how it could be used and untested.

Untested is usually a euphemism for knackered.
Mudslinger - Simon
26TM274
26CT612