Thoughts on a radio.

This is the place to discuss any general CB radio related topics. Getting started, installations, operation etc.
sureshot
Veteran
Veteran
Call Sign: 26TM413

Thoughts on a radio.

Post by sureshot »

Looking for some feedback on a Midland 48+ cb radio, (Orange display) I'm thinking of getting one,but..
In years gone by I've had Midland and Intek radios similar to the Midland 48+ all of those had problems with a single bad capacitor that had started venting from new.

After replacement of the capacitor I'd noticed the polarity would change on the said capacitor on TX from RX. I'm certain this lead to the capacitor being destroyed, also another characteristic was a distinct pop noise on keying up the radio. This also seemed to be connected to the bad capacitor on the pcb. The capacitor was the largest on the board, 16 Volts 1000uf component.

Before i go out and get a Midland 48+ has anyone had positive use from a Midland 48+ over a fare period of time ? With out the harsh popping when keying up the radio. Back in the early 2000 i had two Intek radios and a couple of Midland 78s that suffered from this bad capacitor problem.

It wasn't a case of just replace the capacitor, as the new component would be subject to the problem of the same reverse polarity destroying that new one. I thought about putting a diode across that capacitor, but never got round to trying this. There's also the forward voltage drop across any diode across this capacitor to take into account.

Anyway, anyone have good performance from a Midland 48+ Orange display version ? Thoughts and any feedback appreciated.
CB call. Shipwreck.
Mudslinger
Legend
Legend

Re: Thoughts on a radio.

Post by Mudslinger »

They are ok but nothing special. Built by Maxon, often suffer from dodgy solder joints. Personally I think you can do better.
Mudslinger - Simon
26TM274
26CT612

There is no such thing as a Fidelity 1000 which is too good to scrap.
sonoma
Regular
Regular

Post by sonoma »

Here in the US Midland is not very popular. they just do not seem to hold up like some of the others do. back in the early 70's the 23 channel units held up good. I sold them out of my business back then and Midland then was a hot seller. just the past few years not as good as they should be. a truck driver would never buy one to put in his truck either. give them a cobra uniden or other type radios of this type they will sell good and seam to hold up.
the last few years the Superstar 121 radios are having solder joint problems new right out of the box. drivers use to like them because of the 3 bands of channels.
not sure just how the latest version of the anytone and president radios are going to hold up. some of the operators here in the US are liking the Anytone 6666 for SSB talking and all the extra channels.
sureshot
Veteran
Veteran

Post by sureshot »

Mudslinger wrote: 25 Mar 2018, 11:42 They are ok but nothing special. Built by Maxon, often suffer from dodgy solder joints. Personally I think you can do better.
I've had a Maxon CM10 for over 4 years or more, it's been hooked up on and off, depending what radio I've had on, it's been ok thankfully.
Just like the Midland, but don't feel like getting bitten by a dodgy board again.
TTI have been ok for me for a few years as well. Just thought about that 48+ with orange light. I know it's only cosmetic, but the blue does nothing for me, I'm a fan of the old meter warm glow, be it an incandescent lamp or led.
CB call. Shipwreck.
sureshot
Veteran
Veteran

Post by sureshot »

sonoma wrote: 25 Mar 2018, 13:20 Here in the US Midland is not very popular. they just do not seem to hold up like some of the others do. back in the early 70's the 23 channel units held up good. I sold them out of my business back then and Midland then was a hot seller. just the past few years not as good as they should be. a truck driver would never buy one to put in his truck either. give them a cobra uniden or other type radios of this type they will sell good and seam to hold up.
the last few years the Superstar 121 radios are having solder joint problems new right out of the box. drivers use to like them because of the 3 bands of channels.
not sure just how the latest version of the anytone and president radios are going to hold up. some of the operators here in the US are liking the Anytone 6666 for SSB talking and all the extra channels.
I've been looking at the radios over the pond there where you are. After all it's The home of cb radio. I'm only deterred by the import expenses etc, and after sales service if something goes wrong. But I'd certainly like a radio from the US.
CB call. Shipwreck.