Happy 4th Birthday Legal SSB - The BIG SSB Net! Wed 27th June

This is the place to discuss any general CB radio related topics. Getting started, installations, operation etc.
Adriano9966
Veteran
Veteran

Re: Happy 4th Birthday Legal SSB - The BIG SSB Net! Wed 27th June

Post by Adriano9966 »

I attempted to publicise this event somewhere else that is full of "genuine amateurs" and all I got was a barrage of insults from some people .

apparently we are big kids that have not grown out of our 'toys' I did not expect this reaction and I am somewhat disappointed by some of the hostile attitudes

This just makes me even more determined to participate
26TM5890
Call Sign: 26TM5890

Post by 26TM5890 »

just wondering how many are celebrating this "Legal SSB" with legal CB radio's incl legal power...
Elecraft K2
President Grant II Premium
delboyonline
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by delboyonline »

Adriano9966 wrote: 20 Jun 2018, 00:29 I attempted to publicise this event somewhere else that is full of "genuine amateurs" and all I got was a barrage of insults from some people .

apparently we are big kids that have not grown out of our 'toys' I did not expect this reaction and I am somewhat disappointed by some of the hostile attitudes

Shocking, just shocking!
2SG

Post by 2SG »

Adriano9966 wrote: 20 Jun 2018, 00:29 I attempted to publicise this event somewhere else that is full of "genuine amateurs" and all I got was a barrage of insults from some people .

Hardly surprising, and not at all shocking. It's horses for courses.

Just what reaction were you expecting when you went publicising a CB event in a place frequented by amateurs?

Many on the genuine, fully licenced amateurs that I know came from CB, but that was around 40 years ago. They left (the then) illegal CB behind when they got their licences and will never go back to CB, legal or otherwise.

Most of the Foundation licence holders I know came from illegal 11m, and many still jump in and out when it suits them.

Many of the illegal 11m pirates I know will have nothing to do with legal CB, regardless of mode.

The only thing which surprises me is that someone thinks amateurs would be interested in a CB event.
Mikel
Radio Addict
Radio Addict

Post by Mikel »

Yes Adrian, saw the response that you got on there mate, cant say it came as a great surprise to me.

Made me chuckle to be honest - you certainly have a nack of raising the blood pressure of some people on there!!
................................................................................................2W0NBF.........................................................
MrWeetabix
Admin
Admin
Call Sign: 26TM175

Post by MrWeetabix »

I've never understood why some people really and truly HATE CB radio and all that it stands for.

Without it Amateur Radio would have died out years ago. Its an easy way for people to get into a hobby or try the waters before they get the full Nerd treatment from the 'Tweed and Werthers' Brigade.

Live and let live I say. You get good and people in both sides of the hobby, having your ticket certainly doesn't make you better than anyone else as a result, or indeed, give you the right to talk down to those whom don;t have a ticket, or in many cases, those whom may have 'the wrong ticket'. Radio Snobbery at it's finest.

Not seen the post in question on the other site, but I can't say I am surprised that at the apparent response. Some people just live to put others down. It must be a very sad and lonely world they inhabit.
26TM175. OP: Craig. QTH: Gateshead IO94EW. Also 163TM175 when mobile in Wales 8)

Transmission1 on Facebook http://tinyurl.com/TM1onFB | Tango Mike on Facebook http://tinyurl.com/TangoMikeFB |
delboyonline
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by delboyonline »

Best of luck to everyone taking part tonight in The Big Net and the other event which I cannot mention due to the threat of legal action from the organiser 😉
Last edited by delboyonline on 27 Jun 2018, 15:51, edited 1 time in total.
MrWeetabix
Admin
Admin
Call Sign: 26TM175

Post by MrWeetabix »

BUMP!

80 mins to go people..... get the SWAR Spray on, tune yer twig and burn some whiskies! :thumbup: :wave:
26TM175. OP: Craig. QTH: Gateshead IO94EW. Also 163TM175 when mobile in Wales 8)

Transmission1 on Facebook http://tinyurl.com/TM1onFB | Tango Mike on Facebook http://tinyurl.com/TangoMikeFB |
radiogaga
Top Poster
Top Poster
Call Sign: 26TM399

Post by radiogaga »

I hear nothing!
26TM399 Hampshire and Isle of Wight
30TM399 Northern Costa Blanca
26TM5890
Call Sign: 26TM5890

Post by 26TM5890 »

Seams like a Charlie Tango net. Glad I had a couple QSOs with some stations from abroad
Elecraft K2
President Grant II Premium
prettypolly
Top Poster
Top Poster
Call Sign: 26FB185

Post by prettypolly »

One or two up here not bad from cumbria to cheshire
mrpsychopath
Call Sign: 108tm1313

Post by mrpsychopath »

Never heard a thing up here, just finland and poland
Kill em all and let god sort them out.
ch25
Top Poster
Top Poster
Call Sign: Lemmy

Post by ch25 »

Is it really only 4 years with legal ssb in UK? Damn, here it was legal since 1989.
Chris
WE ARE MOTÖRHEAD, AND WE PLAY ROCK N' ROLL
You can't have too many antennas...
Adriano9966
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Adriano9966 »

:) really good from my location (Edgehill) I was sorry that I could only participate for an hour, inevitably that turned into an hour and a half as I was reluctant to leave
I found it very pleasing to talk to a number of people and I was not expecting to reach Sheffield from my mobile either.

Channel 23 was buzzing and all I can say is that this event was surely a success judging by what I was hearing .
GeeFull
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by GeeFull »

My local Beehive was "buzzing"on that very day, but seriously was it the massive turn out some people expected, or a damp squib for just as many?
Let's face it post legalisation of all modes, CB hasn't exactly "boomed" as expected...........perhaps some folks who might have reveled in the day, just got tired of waiting and simply moved on elsewhere? ;)
Just saying........followed by comments of "I got X thousand contacts"....yeah dream on!