Diy mobile antenna, ideas, plans...

This is the place to discuss any general CB radio related topics. Getting started, installations, operation etc.
Scrumpy
Regular
Regular

Diy mobile antenna, ideas, plans...

Post by Scrumpy »

Hi guys, was just wondering if anyone has attempted to build a DIY loaded cb antenna? I've got a spare 3/8 magmount doing nothing and fancy a little project. Some plans, or details would be very helpful and much appreciated.
ch25
Top Poster
Top Poster
Call Sign: Lemmy

Re: Diy mobile antenna, ideas, plans...

Post by ch25 »

Most difficult part is mechanical work.
I did a few mobile antennas in the past.
You need to have access to lathe, table drill and minor tools.
You make a prototype without coil. You measure resistance and reactance at the feed point than calculate the coil.
You make non magnetic coil support and second prototype. Some changes and your antenna should be ready to make.
Chris
WE ARE MOTÖRHEAD, AND WE PLAY ROCK N' ROLL
You can't have too many antennas...
Scrumpy
Regular
Regular

Post by Scrumpy »

Well I've got my own workshop. I've also got various lengths of stainless rod 3.2mm. I've got a section of rigid pvc tube 20mm to form the loading coil. I can machine ferrules, threads etc. Just looking for plans to work from. I've also got a 1.5 mtr fibreglass rod for a firestick style twig.
ch25
Top Poster
Top Poster
Call Sign: Lemmy

Post by ch25 »

Do you have antenna analyser to measure your antenna? You need device which will measure resistance, reactance at the feedpoint. Are you familiar witch Smith chart?
Chris
WE ARE MOTÖRHEAD, AND WE PLAY ROCK N' ROLL
You can't have too many antennas...
The Collector
Legend
Legend

Post by The Collector »

Knock up some decent 1-piece 9ft tank whips and you could probably flog quite a few on escam....I mean ebay etc. A tapered whip would be the biz ;)