Mic Wiring

This is the place to discuss any general CB radio related topics. Getting started, installations, operation etc.
Trog

Mic Wiring

Post by Trog »

Apologies as I haven't posted in ages after a lull but my radio interest is now returning.

I'd like to know if it's possible (or even remotely feasible) to wire the mic in the link below which has eight pins. To the Magnum Delta Force six pin configuration shown in the picture. I realise I would lose the channel up and down function if it was wired successfully but that wouldn't be problem.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/MoMN1090A-Micr ... 49torola-H

Magnum Delta Force Plug.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
paulears
Top Poster
Top Poster
Call Sign: G4RMT

Re: Mic Wiring

Post by paulears »

I don't know that radio, but the critical thing appears to be that while there is the obvious short pin three to 5 to put it into transmit, there is also the RX pin? I did have a radio years ago where this arrangement was used and when the PTT was not pushed, another contact shorted pin 2 to 5 to enable receive audio. In other words, pull the mic plug out and the radio goes silent. If you pull the plug out - and the radio receives normally, then ignore pin 2 all together, and simply connect the mics PTT contacts as shown in the diagram, plus add the audio to pin 1.

Personally, I don't like those Motorolas, but they look nice, I suppose. Some digging on the net suggests that the mic is wired with totally separate audio and PTT, so you might need to common up the mic ground and PTT ground.
Trog

Post by Trog »

Hello Paulears and thanks for your reply. This is just something I'm toying with to be honest with you. If it would be too complicated, I'd leave it and just buy a 'proper' CB mike. It is just the look of the mike that I like as they do look nice and slightly 'old school' in a Starsky and Hutch sort of way.
Buick Mackane

Post by Buick Mackane »

I don't see why it wouldn't work, But just incase you didn't know those old motorola mics weigh a ton, I have one here on a 4m radio
I Am the great cornholio are you threatening me ?
The Collector
Legend
Legend

Post by The Collector »

Not a bad-looking mic', but that PTT bar looks like a definite skin-pincher like the Turner etc ;)
paulears
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by paulears »

Well - it's not remotely hard - but you need to be able to open the mic up and swap a few things IF it doesn't work. Does pulling the plug out of the radio cut the volume dead? If it doesn't then it's very simple.
Trog

Post by Trog »

I will leave it. The mike has to be ordered from Australia for a start so about a six week wait. Then it could arrive and prove too difficult to wire up. Much less hassle just buying a replacement CB mike from Britain.
paulears
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by paulears »

Did you hope it would be better? If so - ask around locally, it's not hard, so there's bound to be someone who can do it for you. I figured that as it needs a new plug anyway, you must be able to solder. I didn't realise you were in New South Wales - as in Australia - I figured South Wales as in Cardiff!
Trog

Post by Trog »

Of course I can solder! :lol: Not sure why you assume I am in Australia. I'm in South Wales UK.
Like I say, I will leave it.
paulears
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by paulears »

You said you were ordering from Australia - which is a long way for a second hand mic to come and the post will be expensive too! 30 austalian dollars plus post is crazy. Hence why I assumed you lived there.

I'd leave it too. No need to get grumpy - I just tried to help.