Sky Q installations and possible interference

This is the place to discuss any general CB radio related topics. Getting started, installations, operation etc.
JB
Regular
Regular

Sky Q installations and possible interference

Post by JB »

I am thinking of installing a sky q TV system with mini box and wondered if any members have encountered any interference from these boxes?
Ur5by9

Re: Sky Q installations and possible interference

Post by Ur5by9 »

I have Sky Q and 2 mini boxes I get no issues or interference at all.
It uses WIFI same as most other bits and bobs around the home.

Hope that helps you :)

Oh if you go for it ask the installer to fit a hybrid LNB as if you ever want just free sat
the Sky Q is a wideband LNB and wont work, a hybrid gives you a second output for free sat.

If you don't ask for it you wont have it installed as it cost Sky more money.
Just tell the installer your going to use one of your old Sky+HD boxes for free to air in another room
which requires no subscription.

Al the best.
steepeljack69
Call Sign: 26SF333

Post by steepeljack69 »

Same here no problems with Sky Q,works a treat.
grafter
Radio Addict
Radio Addict

Post by grafter »

What happens if the installer enables the built in PLT?
my friend grafter, seems like you are using a very offensive tone in the reply.
Auldgeek
Veteran
Veteran
Call Sign: GM0BRJ

Post by Auldgeek »

I've had Sky Q since April of last year and before I committed to upgrading, I did quite a bit of research, even called Sky's technical department (what a joke that was) and ended up opening a topic on Sky's community forum, where I received some decent replies, most of which were positive.
Anyway, I ordered it and can honestly say, I have not detected any interference from any of the equipment on any part of the HF spectrum. I've done tests by powering off and on the router, the main box and the mini boxes one by one.

I had it installed at an early stage in its lifecycle and at that time, PLT had not been formally deployed by Sky, although you had the ability to enable it. Now that it has been deployed and is a supported method of connecting the mini boxes, I have still not detected any interference although I have it disabled in all boxes and the router.

Now here's the thing. According to some folk, the PLT option while disabled, is still partially active, as the virtual adaptor has an assigned MAC address. I tend to disagree with this as for example, your on board Ethernet card contained in a typical PC motherboard while having a MAC address, can be disabled and is therefore not active.

For your info, The Sky Q system uses a form of networking technology called WMN (Wireless Mesh Network) and basically, each of your Sky boxes has it's own WiFi node or relay built in and collectively, they create and extend your own WiFi coverage in your house. The mini boxes must be able to see and connect to the main Sky Q box and/or the router. The router is a dual band type, with Sky recommending you use the 5Ghz links for the Sky boxes and the 2.4Ghz links for your equipment. You can also hardwire your equipment via Ethernet (which is my preferred way of connecting) or use the built in PLT nodes.

Anyway, I have read of a small number of amateurs that claim to suffer really bad interference from their Sky Q equipment, so I think it's safe to say that results may vary. However, from the replies on here thus far, there does not appear to be any interference. :D
Auldgeek - Drew

Winner of IBTL Autumn 23 Edition
I've changed radios so many times, I've forgotten what I have :think:
MrWeetabix
Admin
Admin
Call Sign: 26TM175

Post by MrWeetabix »

I have had Sky Q for over a year now without any issues. I believe the PLT capability is there, but will only be rolled out when they are ready. Future-proofing their kit I suppose. Mine uses Wifi for the connection and is flawless, with no issues to the radio at all. This may change if/when they start to turn on the PLT stuff.
26TM175. OP: Craig. QTH: Gateshead IO94EW. Also 163TM175 when mobile in Wales 8)

Transmission1 on Facebook http://tinyurl.com/TM1onFB | Tango Mike on Facebook http://tinyurl.com/TangoMikeFB |