New CB radio equipment that made the grade in 2018

This is the place to discuss any general CB radio related topics. Getting started, installations, operation etc.
108EH002
Top Poster
Top Poster

New CB radio equipment that made the grade in 2018

Post by 108EH002 »

As the title says,anything purchased new that you think works good enough,for what it cost,cheers and all the best in 2018.
Plenty are talking worldwide on 27.555 usb,
Some are too far up their own @rse to admit it,
Many happen to know otherwise dx-ing test free,
Showing a complete lack of respect for the law.

27.555 Usb
ROTEL240

Re: New CB radio equipment that made the grade in 2018

Post by ROTEL240 »

2018 only 2 days in so not bought anything yet...i bought a ss9900 in 2017 and well pleased with it.
108EH002
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by 108EH002 »

I know its early,just a wee list for others who might want to buy the same.I had a 6666 V3 and it was good for in the car.

27.555 Usb
ch25
Top Poster
Top Poster
Call Sign: Lemmy

Post by ch25 »

No CB related, but radio related. I just sent Paypal for Flex 6600 plus Maestro on preorder. Now waiting for delivery. Santa will be early this year.
Chris
WE ARE MOTÖRHEAD, AND WE PLAY ROCK N' ROLL
You can't have too many antennas...
astradyne

Post by astradyne »

The Anytone 5555's and related clones. A bargain of a radio for the cost brand new. Yes, the earlier revisions were crap, but they learned and the V6 is a very capable and versatile radio indeed with a host of features you'd expect to find on higher end radio's. My preference is for the SS6900 as I prefer the all blue display.

The SS9900 is a radio I like. Small, compact and, again, full of features. Never had a bad report on mine. Just remember to keep the power down on FM.

There are a few others, the Grant 2 Premium, Midland 8001XT (a very solid radio indeed) and the Albrecht AE7500. But these are just my options. Different people like different radio's for different reasons.
Last edited by astradyne on 04 Jan 2018, 00:48, edited 1 time in total.
Never, ever, ever....bloody anything ever!

Far too many radio's to list here. But I do own a legal one...
108EH002
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by 108EH002 »

Do like the look of the 8001,especially the bonus of an analogue meter,one on the tree for £150.

27.555 Usb
mrpsychopath
Call Sign: 108tm1313

Post by mrpsychopath »

Think thats the same 8001 on evil bay at the moment
Kill em all and let god sort them out.
astradyne

Post by astradyne »

mrpsychopath wrote: 03 Jan 2018, 22:55 Think thats the same 8001 on evil bay at the moment
They always seem to command high prices. Even with the £18 P&P charges the bids on the one on eBay are rising quickly.

They are a very good radio. Very stable after warm up with very little drift, if any. Excellent coverage, frequency counter, great performance etc. Unless it's been modified though the fine and coarse tune don't work in AM and FM modes. Only on SSB. Strangely the radio is wired 4 pin Cybernet...

mrpsychopath

Post by mrpsychopath »

Yep exact same as mine, they can be modded so the course works on am and fm, dont know why they were not like that from the factory. I like it quirks and all. Yep cybernet on a supposed uniden radio lol
astradyne

Post by astradyne »

mrpsychopath wrote: 04 Jan 2018, 01:14 Yep exact same as mine, they can be modded so the course works on am and fm, dont know why they were not like that from the factory. I like it quirks and all. Yep cybernet on a supposed uniden radio lol
I think they were only ever intended for the European market, so had no need to be able to drop down to the UK offset. There's still nothing on the net (that I've found) that clearly details the mod and procedure. However, not being a UK 40 user I have no desire to have any mods done to the radio. Besides, if I did fancy a quick listen on there, I have several other radio's which will allow me to do that.

rpcomms

Post by rpcomms »

The 8001XT
was a very underrated set,I worked on those to get the UK shift and coarse control to work
plus some minor mods in FM TX audio side better,but did like them Am was super quiet!
A bit more improved engineering and UK channels fitted in ROM may have saved that radio?
Hi power mods were breeze to do with links
After alterations really couldn't say a bad thing about them once you understand them.
I would agree the CRT-6900V6 is a better radio in some technical respects and does slightly differ way set up to others on FM side.
service info was restricted to dealers only im afraid so that why mods\info restricted.
And yes was marketed for EU lands very correct.

Ive just finished a debugged CRT SS-6900V3-A,
and yeah what a difference it makes well impressed,heat issues gone DC reg upgraded and internal heatsink,TX audio wider on all modes 4-5khz roll off and audio compression calmed down,mic gain increased,fm clipped TX dev at 2.00-2.20khz adds punch,FM RX resolved with new 9khz +/- 4.5khz Filter for better fm. Bouncy S-Meter bar graph,Louder fm RX audio on Narrow FM cb dev's,,Hi-Cut now works better,Audio glitch delay on TX with power mics,about to fix with 1:1 internal audio isolator,option power for electrec mic capsule available to me,quicker squelch close in ASQ via software.Now I didnt like this set at first but now ive done the fixes,i really like it much more usable,been running some tests this week,get excellent result on stock std 600ohm mike moonraker one,the supplied microphone is junk
I think with a little bit more engineering work the CRT\Anytone|alinco\CRE could be further improved as very little extra R&D cost,took me about 4weeks,most that was putting a decent service manual together! now seeing results and i can honestly say im loving this set now,the only thing id like to see is the coarse,fine control made simpler and add 5khz steps in menu.What ive done is written a channel block set at 5khz steps saves all the hassle of fiddling menu and press button,other niggle USB glitch (V3 frimware) put into usb off frq,put into lsb,then back into USB spot on freq,defo a firmware glitch.again can live wit that as found it.Cant comment on CRT 6900 V6 as dont have one here to look at on bench to compare,but if the have improved thing even more id be interested to look at that one too.

even with above,like i said cant comment on improvements on V6 stock, for what they are CRT\Anytones are popular set and lots of handy feature when programmed correctly.
Love the Dual watch feature-Im using that a lot now for EU \UK call channels
and it can do splits if doing repeaters!
wish they had put CTCSS encode on these CRT SS-6900
The downside is UK technical support and parts,that can a be a struggle issue at times,
esp if your doing improvements and god forbid you have something unintentionally & accidentally goes bang on bench!,it does sometimes happen.
oh shxt!,excuse my french.
I can hear the giggle's from other tech's out there

CRT\AE-6110 nice little tiny budget set ,have one handy when in hire cars on road trips and hilltoppers
I rate those quite well,robust little sets and set up very well for price.
Lots of feature's and hidden ones too!

Barry Am/FM Ver 2.0 with multiple displays 7 i think? 2018-need to get my hands on one of these haven't
really seen much on real use of these sets yet?

KPO Panther CB HT? 2018 too early yet suppose?

have a list of wants as long as arm for 2018,quality and alignment would be things like to see
and more detail and care,maybe asking too much for mass produce products?

Take it easy Kids
Rob 73's
mrpsychopath

Post by mrpsychopath »

Rob can you post info on 8001xt mods. Thanks
108EH002
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by 108EH002 »

Have recently purchased an Albrecht AE 6110 V3 ultra compact CB radio.The radio is a no frills 80 channel CB,but with a small mod can be expanded to cover far more with higher tx power if chosen but I have just left it as it is straight from the factory unmodded.It makes the grade for me for a new CB radio purchase,as it was only £50 with free delivery and the tiny radio will fit where most other CB radios won't in a modern vehicle. :thumbup:

27.555 Usb