president himalaya wb antenna

This is the place to discuss any general CB radio related topics. Getting started, installations, operation etc.
mrpsychopath
Call Sign: 108tm1313

president himalaya wb antenna

Post by mrpsychopath »

Hi, anyone using a president himalaya wb, looking for and opinion on how good/bad it is. Thanks :thumbup:
Kill em all and let god sort them out.
Auldgeek
Veteran
Veteran
Call Sign: GM0BRJ

Re: president himalaya wb antenna

Post by Auldgeek »

mrpsychopath wrote:Hi, anyone using a president himalaya wb, looking for and opinion on how good/bad it is. Thanks :thumbup:
Simon the wizards blog has quite a bit on this antenna John. When my Sigma 5/8 was snapped in two by Storm Blah Blah, I ended up replacing it with a Sirio Gainmaster but if the Himalaya WB had been available, I would probably have went for that.

I've not really been that impressed by the Sirio so I might yet buy the President.
Last edited by Auldgeek on 26 Sep 2017, 17:53, edited 1 time in total.
Auldgeek - Drew

Winner of IBTL Autumn 23 Edition
I've changed radios so many times, I've forgotten what I have :think:
mrpsychopath

Post by mrpsychopath »

Thanks Drew, i am not replacing, just adding another. From What i have read its a better antenna than the a 99 i am using. I had thought about the I 2000 which is a larger antenna, but the himalaya wb seems to have an edge on it by coverage and swr. Will look into it when i get back. As i want it up before the winter sets in.
Auldgeek
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Auldgeek »

mrpsychopath wrote:Thanks Drew, i am not replacing, just adding another. From What i have read its a better antenna than the a 99 i am using. I had thought about the I 2000 which is a larger antenna, but the himalaya wb seems to have an edge on it by coverage and swr. Will look into it when i get back. As i want it up before the winter sets in.
It's the wider bandwidth that has me interested. My GM is good for 500khz at best before I need to use a tuner so if performance is the same or better (preferably the latter) and presents a good impedance match over a wider range, I'd be happy with that.

As it happens, the top section of my GM has a permanent bend already, albeit slight and it hasn't seen a winter yet!

Doesn't bode well.....
Auldgeek - Drew

Otter
Veteran
Veteran
Call Sign: 26TM439

Post by Otter »

kilimax wrote: My GM is good for 500khz at best before I need to use a tuner
Is that the half wave Gainmaster because if it's the full length one there's something very wrong. Mine, with a short length of RG213, has an SWR of 1.5:1 or below between 25.5MHz and 30MHz.
"To this day the words Stirling bridge conjour pride in every Scotsman's heart, while to an Englishman those same words conjour literally no feelings at all." - Cunk on Britain S1 E1
Auldgeek
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Auldgeek »

Otter wrote:
kilimax wrote: My GM is good for 500khz at best before I need to use a tuner
Is that the half wave Gainmaster because if it's the full length one there's something very wrong. Mine, with a short length of RG213, has an SWR of 1.5:1 or below between 25.5MHz and 30MHz.
It's the half wave version.
Sirio claim a 1.8Mhz bandwidth at <2.0:1 SWR. To keep it at or below 1.5:1, it should have a bandwidth of approximately 1Mhz.
I wanted to cover the top 500khz of 27 and the bottom 500khz of 10m so I cut it for minimum SWR at 28.000Mhz

In practice however, I'm lucky to see half that before the SWR is climbing and steeply. That's the way it is with 1/2 wave once resonance is out.

My antenna is about 33 feet above ground. The 5/8 GM is too long for this location. I get battered here with gales and wanted to keep the length under 20", hence the HW version.
Auldgeek - Drew

Otter
Veteran
Veteran
Call Sign: 26TM439

Post by Otter »

kilimax wrote: My antenna is about 33 feet above ground. The 5/8 GM is too long for this location. I get battered here with gales and wanted to keep the length under 20", hence the HW version.
I understand why you're trying to keep it short, but my GM 5/8 has been up since shortly after they came out and it has seen some nasty weather. Admittedly the base of the antenna is only a couple of feet above the apex of the house.
From what I can make out, it seems that if you over-tighten the jubilee clips the fibreglass gets damaged - then they snap in the wind. Mine goes over to 90 degrees, like a fishing rod.
"To this day the words Stirling bridge conjour pride in every Scotsman's heart, while to an Englishman those same words conjour literally no feelings at all." - Cunk on Britain S1 E1
steepeljack69
Call Sign: 26SF333

Post by steepeljack69 »

I replaced my Full size Gainmaster with the WB Hymalia,excellent tunes straight up on 20m with little effort and at a push with a manual tunner I can get it reasonable enough to work 40m.Also use it to recive 80m and it’s a quality antenna.A few of my mates have seen results I have had and have now got one,you wont go wrong
Auldgeek
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Auldgeek »

steepeljack69 wrote:I replaced my Full size Gainmaster with the WB Hymalia,excellent tunes straight up on 20m with little effort and at a push with a manual tunner I can get it reasonable enough to work 40m.Also use it to recive 80m and it’s a quality antenna.A few of my mates have seen results I have had and have now got one,you wont go wrong
Thanks for the info. While I'm mainly interested in its 10-12m bandwidth, the extra usability is interesting. It's certainly tempting.

Cheers :thumbup:
Auldgeek - Drew

steepeljack69

Post by steepeljack69 »

Works great on 10-11-12m just good I can get it to work other bands,great antenna low noise and static compared to either version of the Gainmaster have had both and this WB Hymalia is best of the lot.U won’t go wrong with one
mrpsychopath

Post by mrpsychopath »

Thanks Guys.
Auldgeek
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Auldgeek »

steepeljack69 wrote:Works great on 10-11-12m just good I can get it to work other bands,great antenna low noise and static compared to either version of the Gainmaster have had both and this WB Hymalia is best of the lot.U won’t go wrong with one
Went ahead and ordered one. Will be here next week. Might be a wee while before I can swap out the antennas though but I'll be interested to see how it performs.
Auldgeek - Drew

steepeljack69

Post by steepeljack69 »

I promise u won’t be disappointed
mrpsychopath

Post by mrpsychopath »

Ordered mine as well, will put it up when i get back.
steepeljack69

Post by steepeljack69 »

Honestly had around 6 Gainmasters both versions ,long story y have had so many but I have to say this Hymalia WB puts them all to shame!and my location is terrible for radio,no mobile phone signal,but this antenna does the business