oil filled antenna

This is the place to discuss any general CB radio related topics. Getting started, installations, operation etc.
wa10
Top Poster
Top Poster

oil filled antenna

Post by wa10 »

Do any of you guys remember what they called the transparent coil oil filled antennas sold here back in the early 80's that looked like the audioking antennas sold today?

thanks.
W8JI
"An antenna with a poor ground using few radials cannot have a support mast grounded to the radial common point (at least it shouldn't if designed properly) There is no exception to this!
prettypolly
Top Poster
Top Poster
Call Sign: 26FB185

Re: oil filled antenna

Post by prettypolly »

The Truck Spec Oil Coil is a nearly exact copy of the now gone Van Ordt antenna company ?Audio King? that was released around 1980. The 1981 Audio King ad claims the antenna has a dB gain of ?4.5 and better signal to noise than other antennas?. I have to admit, the antenna looks really neat. Van Ordt made some of the most innovative and best performing antennas the CB market had ever seen to that point. It is nice to see that their unique designs have outlived the company itself.
wa10
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by wa10 »

i think the one i had in the early 80's was the original but 100% sure, van ordt & audio king don't ring a bell, looked & felt very well made & i recall they claimed somethng like low noise,
bandwidth & performance was nothing to shout about but my first antenna was a hard roof mounted 6ft moonraker so i was probably expecting too much from the shorter antenna.

thanks
W8JI
"An antenna with a poor ground using few radials cannot have a support mast grounded to the radial common point (at least it shouldn't if designed properly) There is no exception to this!
prettypolly
Top Poster
Top Poster
Call Sign: 26FB185

Post by prettypolly »

Audio King ad.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
wa10
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by wa10 »

That's the one, the ones on ebay look like the coil is longer & thinner than the one i had.
gain of 4.5 lmao, more like negative gain compared to a valor 520 half breed but they did look sexy back in the day.
W8JI
The Collector
Legend
Legend

Post by The Collector »

They could be handy to use mobile.

If it's a really hot day and you're out and about in a black car, you could drill a hole in the coil, drip the oil onto your roof and cook an egg or two ;)

I'd sooner buy a Sirio 3/4/5000 though personally :)
andrew013
Top Poster
Top Poster
Call Sign: 26AT013

Post by andrew013 »

there was a midland ariel that looked similar simply called the midland oil coil i belive , i bought one brand new but soon sold it
on air,tyne&wear,northumberland,durham,holy island,eu120+eu124 and anywhere from gateshead/north wales
scrap uk 40 give cbers L/M/Hcalling on 27.355/555 usb qsy 27.015 lsb/410 usb cb radio is for life not just for profits
i do cb radio not 11mtres,countrys worked 2015 with imax 2000 72
Avenger
Call Sign: 163TM122

Post by Avenger »

There was a Valor oil coil in the old truck king catalogue I'm sure?
163TM122 - ROB
andrew013
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by andrew013 »

whilst looking for the midland ariel info i came across the moonraker AK 1000 advert for their oil coil antenna
on air,tyne&wear,northumberland,durham,holy island,eu120+eu124 and anywhere from gateshead/north wales
scrap uk 40 give cbers L/M/Hcalling on 27.355/555 usb qsy 27.015 lsb/410 usb cb radio is for life not just for profits
TangoCharlie18

Post by TangoCharlie18 »

I was under the impression that there was a Sirio Mobile Antenna - with an Oil Submerged loading coil too.

It had a see through cover.

I have searched, but cannot find any info though, so, I am probably wrong.
Unhindered by talent
andrew013
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by andrew013 »

a problem occured i will try again uploading a photo
wa10
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by wa10 »

Maybe you are thinking of the sirio space shuttle TangoCharlie, they had a transparent coil cover but no oil.
W8JI
TangoCharlie18

Post by TangoCharlie18 »

wa10 wrote:Maybe you are thinking of the sirio space shuttle TangoCharlie, they had a transparent coil cover but no oil.
Straight away, the name rang a bell, so I Googled it and you are totally correct.

I had never heard of the others, but, had heard of an oil filled loading coil on an antenna and I must have either been told which one it was incorrectly, or assumed it was the Space Shuttle.

Many thanks.
Unhindered by talent
Unit 148 Mobile
Call Sign: G4ZOW

Post by Unit 148 Mobile »

I ran an original Van Ordt Audio King with an extended lower shaft. Van Ordt offered I think a 6" and a 12" shaft. So never happy with a 12" I had a machine shop make me a 24" to get the coil higher up.

An article which mentions the original: http://paulshinn.us/copper/bigcoil/

This must of been circa 78. I remember at the time it was an expensive antenna compared to most others around. It was rated at either 1000 or 1500W. I ran 800 and I liked the idea of the oil cooling but now realize that was more snake oil due to the lack of circulation! The 4.5db gain figure must be relative to a needle on a biscuit tin but as with much CB marketing hype, numbers talk.

It did work well but it was the AM & SSB power I ran more than anything else and of course not forgetting the amazing sunspot activity of the day and through into the early 80's. I don't think we'll ever see those days again. Even the barefoot boys were talking across the pond and occasionally into VK land.

I like to brag. My mobile talked just a little further. VK0TB came down to 11m to talk to talk to me from here: http://www.antarctica.gov.au/__data/ass ... arctic.jpg

Unit 148 Mobile
wa10
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by wa10 »

TangoCharlie18,
i ran a space shuttle i for a while, not happy with the skinny black whip i removed one turn from the coil & drilled the cone to take a thicker longer whip from a valor 520 half breed,
it performed the same as my wilson 5000 and only bent half as much in the wind while on the move, a friend needed an antenna so off it went.

148 good contact,
the one i had was the short shaft, i had other antennas that outperformed it, it would have been ok if you had been up here for some competition, nobody local was willing to do multiple alts & big amps, i don't suppose you had anybody down there to play with either.
W8JI