CB Radio Licences

This is the place to discuss any general CB radio related topics. Getting started, installations, operation etc.
Guzzy
Veteran
Veteran
Call Sign: 26TM002

CB Radio Licences

Post by Guzzy »

Ofcom announced that as of 30th of November 2005 there are 16,475 CB licences.

As opposed to 63,261 Amateur radio licences.

Now considering that most CB users wouldn't buy a licence if you held a gun to their head, and a lot of people don't even know you NEED a licence. I reckon that makes a lot of CB users.

If 63,261 users justifies all the frequencies that Amateur Radio Operators are allowed, then I think that CB users should be allowed to keep their measly 80 channels!

So the next time someone says CB radio is dead. Stick that figure up their blowhole!

It is also suggested that the licence will be scrapped in September 2006 when the company issuing them for Ofcom comes to the end of its contract.
andyandy

Re: CB Radio Licences

Post by andyandy »

guzzy2h2uz wrote:Ofcom announced that as of 30th of November 2005 there are 16,475 CB licences.

As opposed to 63,261 Amateur radio licences.

Now considering that most CB users wouldn't buy a licence if you held a gun to their head, and a lot of people don't even know you NEED a licence. I reckon that makes a lot of CB users.

If 63,261 users justifies all the frequencies that Amateur Radio Operators are allowed, then I think that CB users should be allowed to keep their measly 80 channels!

So the next time someone says CB radio is dead. Stick that figure up their blowhole!

It is also suggested that the licence will be scrapped in September 2006 when the company issuing them for Ofcom comes to the end of its contract.
The population of the UK is at roughly 59,834,900(National Statistics) million people, and when you divide that by 16,475(ofcom) thousand CB users - it works out at 1 in every 3631 people in the UK have a CB or use one.

This figure doesnt make it sound as though CB radio is dead :wink: .

But in Hamilton where i live the population is around 60,000 thousand people, and when you divide that by 3631 - you get 16, which would be the number of people in Hamilton with a CB or use a CB which is a very sad story indeed.

But the idea of scraping the CB licence would be a great plan to start with because i didnt even know you needed one to own a CB radio( but you learn something new everyday :lol: ).

Andy
Guzzy
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Guzzy »

16,475 LICENCED users.

You will find that for every 1 licenced CB user, there are probably 3 unlicenced CB users, and I'm being conservative with the estimated unlicenced users. Most people using CB today don't even realise it's still licenced.

16,475 licenced users + 49,425 unlicenced users = 65,900 CB Radio users!!!

That's 2639 MORE CB Users than licenced Amateur radio operators!

Now I admit that I have just guessed the number of unlicenced CB Radio users. There may be less, or there may even be more!

It's still short of the 300,000 CB users we had on in the eighties though.

Oh and the good news is that according to MY figures you are surrounded by 66 other CB users! :wink:
andyandy

Post by andyandy »

guzzy2h2uz wrote:16,475 LICENCED users.
You will find that for every 1 licenced CB user, there are probably 3 unlicenced CB users, and I'm being conservative with the estimated unlicenced users. Most people using CB today don't even realise it's still licenced.
I'm one of them who didn't know :) .
guzzy2h2uz wrote:Oh and the good news is that according to MY figures you are surrounded by 66 other CB users! :wink:
Now that sounds like a better figure to play with :wink: .

Andy
Guzzy
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Guzzy »

guzzy2h2uz wrote:Oh and the good news is that according to MY figures you are surrounded by 66 other CB users! :wink:
andyandy wrote:Now that sounds like a better figure to play with. :wink:
You're almost in danger of running out of available channels :lol: