CB Radio Reviews posted

This is the place to discuss any general CB radio related topics. Getting started, installations, operation etc.
Guzzy
Veteran
Veteran
Call Sign: 26TM002

CB Radio Reviews posted

Post by Guzzy »

Reviews of three current Midland CB radios have been posted at:

www.medwaycb.net

The reviews are for the: Midland Alan 48 Excel Multi, the Midland Alan 42 Multi Hand Held, and the Midland 98 Plus.

Here's the link to it:Reviews.

[Note] 16/12/2005: Reviews of the Midland Alan 48 Excel Multi and Midland Alan 42 Multi (Hand Held) are now available in the CB Radio section of Transmission 1 as well.
Last edited by Guzzy on 16 Dec 2005, 12:53, edited 1 time in total.
andyandy

Post by andyandy »

Good Reviews,

But you should maybe mail them to Simon or Andrew, and they could post them as reviews on T1 aswell, but not unless you got them copyrighted :wink:.
Guzzy
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Guzzy »

Hi Andy.

They're on my CB forum, but I have no problem with people spreading the information far and wide. Help yourself. Just don't claim it as your own!

I posted them to the review section of this website (Transmission 1) the other day. So far. I haven't heard anything from anyone.

No offense, but this forum and website isn't exactly busy at the moment. In fact the last CB related article was almost a year ago (Feb '05). All I'm trying to do is promote CB Radio.
andyandy

Post by andyandy »

Yep it isn't the busiest forum on the web, but im only really interested in scanning and dont use or own a CB. If i was, i could probably help you out, but there are other members that use CB's and use the site regularly so maybe they can coment on our reviews. But i might take it up.

Hope this comforts you :wink:.

Andy
Transmission1
Admin
Admin
Call Sign: 26TM001

Post by Transmission1 »

guzzy2h2uz wrote:I posted them to the review section of this website (Transmission 1) the other day. So far. I haven't heard anything from anyone.
Jon, just to let you know, I got the reviews - thanks! I'm working on it and also want to provide some pictures to accompany the reviews. They will be on the site later today.

As far as reviews are concerned I welcome anyone to write for this website so I don't want to give the impression that I'm not interested! Indeed I wish we could find a few more reviewers at the moment. As for the last article on CB being posted back at the beginning of the year I hope to even the balance a little as I have nearly finshed an article about the new Cobra 200 GTL-DX which I am sure most of you will find interesting.

The biggest problem with CB right now is that hardly anyone is using it in many parts of the country. I know we have quite a few dedicated and hardcore CB'ers in the forum but the reality is that it has died a death in many areas. Even testing a radio can prove to be difficult when there is no-one on to speak to and the band conditions are flat! :D

Anyway, as I already said your contribution is really valued and I hope you'll consider doing more of them in the future. As things stand I haven't had a lot of time this year to work on writting articles due to family commitments and a new baby!

Thanks
Simon
Simon, 26TM001 - East Yorkshire, UK
Founder of Transmission1 & Tango Mike 26 Division Co-ordinator
http://www.tangomike.net/
Follow me on YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/@transmission1
Transmission1
Admin
Admin
Call Sign: 26TM001

Post by Transmission1 »

Both of Jon's reviews are now on the website. Please read and let Jon have your comments, I'm sure he would be pleased to hear from you regarding your own experiences with these radios. 8)

Simon
Simon, 26TM001 - East Yorkshire, UK
Founder of Transmission1 & Tango Mike 26 Division Co-ordinator
http://www.tangomike.net/
Follow me on YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/@transmission1
Guzzy
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Guzzy »

Transmission1 wrote:The biggest problem with CB right now is that hardly anyone is using it in many parts of the country. I know we have quite a few dedicated and hardcore CB'ers in the forum but the reality is that it has died a death in many areas. Even testing a radio can prove to be difficult when there is no-one on to speak to and the band conditions are flat!
It may have died a death where you are, but it's alive and kicking where I am. I can turn the rig on any time of the day and get a contact.

CB Radio is only "dead" if YOU don't use it.

Individuals who turn it on expecting to make "new" random contacts may well be dissapointed. There aren't enough users out there to be able to rely on random contacts. The trick is to promote its use with your friends.

All it takes is a few friends getting CB Radios installed in their cars, and instant net!

If you are sitting at home relying on long distance contacts to fill your CB needs, then maybe you should be trying amateur radio. I do both. It keeps the "shakes" at bay :D
andyandy

Post by andyandy »

guzzy2h2uz wrote:It may have died a death where you are, but it's alive and kicking where I am. I can turn the rig on any time of the day and get a contact.

CB Radio is only "dead" if YOU
Things go in and out of fashion all the time, it just happens naturally.

Eventually people will get bored of using internet chat rooms(main reason why people think people don't want to use them) to talk to thier friends, and go back to using CB radios.

The good thing about CB's are once bought, there free,

But to use internet chat rooms, you have to pay for a ISP.

Everything takes time :) .
Guzzy
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Guzzy »

Eventually people will get bored of using internet chat rooms(main reason why people think people don't want to use them) to talk to thier friends, and go back to using CB radios.

As perverse as this is going to sound, but:

We don't want them back!

We want people who are going to use CB for a realistic purpose. Which is mainly:

#1. Mobile ~ Mobile/Handheld

or

#2. Mobile/Handheld ~ Homebase

With maybe a little bit of Homebase ~ Homebase between the people who use it for the above two.

40 (maybe 80, if we can persaude Ofcom to **** off and leave us alone) channels is not enough channels without the option of something like CTCSS/DCS to have people just chatting on CB. I remember the 80's ALL to well.

If you live in a house, then use your broadband connection to join a chatroom (or forum :wink:) of like minded individuals, or use your "free at weekends and evenings" phone line to chat to your mate down the road. CB is designed for people who physically can't get access to a phone line or computer connection, or are asking for advice/directions from anyone listening who knows the answer.

I know this sounds callous if you live in an area with no one using the CB, but we are better off having a realistic and sensible use of the service than trying to get people back onto it from chat rooms (hopefully, none would bother). This is why I feel it needs to be promoted as an accessory to other persuits as opposed to just being a great thing everbody must have.

I am not saying "don't buy one", I'm just saying "buy it with a purpose in mind". Maybe that way we will have less people saying "I turned my CB on and there was no one to chat to."
andyandy

Post by andyandy »

guzzy2h2uz wrote:If you live in a house, then use your broadband connection to join a chatroom (or forum :wink:) of like minded individuals, or use your "free at weekends and evenings" phone line to chat to your mate down the road. CB is designed for people who physically can't get access to a phone line or computer connection, or are asking for advice/directions from anyone listening who knows the answer.
Well i do see where you are coming from, but again computer company's and maker's have countered the fact 'that you can't get access to the internet when your mobile'.

1:- There is now wireless internet connections available, in so-called 'hotspots'

2:- And to use these 'hotspots' there is now the laptop computer available(although you can't operate this while driving for oviouse reasons)

But now you seem to have made me highlight all the good points of wireless internet, and not give the limelight to the CB radio's(which im not trying to do). Because people will eventually(hopefully) go back to using CB's just as much as they use the internet.

Just thought i would put this point foward.

Andy