European CB Radio Bandplan?

This is the place to discuss any general CB radio related topics. Getting started, installations, operation etc.
delboyonline
Top Poster
Top Poster

European CB Radio Bandplan?

Post by delboyonline »

The ECBF (European Citizen's Band Confederation) has launched a consultation regarding the possibility of a harmonised European CB Radio Bandplan.

You can read my thoughts on my blog:

http://delboyonline.blogspot.co.uk/2017 ... dplan.html

To summarise, I think it's a reasonable idea in principle but I cannot see it ever working due to many long established channel 'allocations' in all the different EU countries. It would be almost impossible to bring everyone together and let's be honest when the skip is running the whole of the mid band becomes a free-for-all anyway!

I think that continuing with long established national/local channel allocations is the way to go but please have your say here: Click for LINK
VintageTin
Call Sign: 26TM516

Re: European CB Radio Bandplan?

Post by VintageTin »

Let's face it, as (nearly) everyone currently using UK CB frequencies only use ch19, the chances of this becoming widely respected on the CEPT are almost zero.
Malcolm
Mudslinger
Legend
Legend

Post by Mudslinger »

Channel 19 is rarely used in these parts.

Channel 29, 30, 32, 34 and 37 seem to get the most action.
Mudslinger - Simon
26TM274
26CT612

There is no such thing as a Fidelity 1000 which is too good to scrap.
Admiral
Legend
Legend
Call Sign: 26TM157

Post by Admiral »

Another example of some CBers wanting to play at ham radio, if you want to take it to this level then just get yourself a ticket, otherwise get on with it and let's not have 11m band police telling us we can't talk on a channel because it's reserved for data etc.
Winner of the 2017 IBTL 'Summer Sizzler' competition
Sam P
Call Sign: 26DR340

Re: European CB Radio Bandplan

Post by Sam P »

Admiral wrote:Another example of some CBers wanting to play at ham radio, if you want to take it to this level then just get yourself a ticket, otherwise get on with it and let's not have 11m band police telling us we can't talk on a channel because it's reserved for data etc.
Or, to be more precise, 11m band police telling us we can't talk on a channel that has no legal UK allocation because it's reserved for data that is technically illegal to transmit in the UK.... :crazy: :wtf: :crazy:

Perhaps the U.K. contingent of the the European Citizens Band Confederation should have a bit of a chinwag with Ofcom...
Ubique Loquimur
Admiral
Legend
Legend
Call Sign: 26TM157

Post by Admiral »

Maybe Oggy would like to comment as he is the UK ECBF representative.
Winner of the 2017 IBTL 'Summer Sizzler' competition
Oggy
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Oggy »

I have posted my thoughts and I feel in principle the idea is good to help the hobby.
But there are areas (like the use of channel 6 midband) which I feel would be unworkable due to the use of the Big Guns in the USA.
MrJackson
Regular
Regular
Call Sign: bj69

Post by MrJackson »

Looks more like an amateur radio band plan. Let's not get away from what cb is all about.
Few rules and people enjoying a bit of freedom on the radio, not having to choose carefully which channel to use.
Just turning a radio on and having fun, what more could you ask for?
RadioPixie
Top Poster
Top Poster
Call Sign: 26TM552

Post by RadioPixie »

It's nice that Delboy is helping in promoting CB radio, but this reported ECBF bandplan is nothing but boll0x.

It's extremely hard to regulate CB, and almost as hard to get a gentleman's agreement.

CB finds it's own nature way of doing things (excluding the handful of idiots), and with the nature of todays operating conditions with so much interference, you can't go by a bandplan of this type, as the best channel to use is the one that is clear.

CB has a bandplan already, Germany national band, UK national band, European shared band (CEPT), and so forth.....
73 from Dave the Pixie - 26CT052 - 26TM552 - CB Radioaficionado
Adriano9966
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Adriano9966 »

:think: Well I must be the odd one out here because I am actually in favour of these proposals.
The suggested band plan mainly follows established conventions anyway so it could work in principle .
I do not think it would be without issues and difficult to begin with but once adopted and provided it is respected this could relieve some of the problems regarding crowded bands during the summer 'e' season .

We are at the low point of the 11 year solar cycle so surely frequent interference from North America is unlikely at present.

I don't think this represents CB becoming like amateur radio because there have always been established conventions on CB
channel 9 ,channel 19 , channel 38 LSB already exist as do others . I agree that if a channel is free people can use whatever mode they wish and who would wish to stop that ? The point is that these proposals might help to limit interference when the band is full of signals. The only issue I can envisage is FM usage upon the high channels which for a long time have been in competition with SSB signals and vice versa............ Just my thoughts
andrew013
Top Poster
Top Poster
Call Sign: 26AT013

Post by andrew013 »

this is a load of s h i t e / b o l l o c k s / c r a p its not ham radio this is cb radio we are talking about here , one channel ops and illegal cbers its more eu rubbish it will never work in a billion years or even if you promised to pay a million qiud to each cber if they stuck to it
all governments could scrap cb frequencys and guess what it wouldnt make a differnce one iota when the world is on cb radio and most have been illegal since time was born good god ive been illeagl on cb radio for 38 years do you think i would stick to that mess , only band plan that should be talked about is low mid high channels germany has low band so why cant we we all have mid band and everybody just about every body uses highband so heres your band plan low band fm mid band all mode high band ssb if you want super low ssb too job done and thats the only band plan that should be talked about period
on air,tyne&wear,northumberland,durham,holy island,eu120+eu124 and anywhere from gateshead/north wales
scrap uk 40 give cbers L/M/Hcalling on 27.355/555 usb qsy 27.015 lsb/410 usb cb radio is for life not just for profits
i do cb radio not 11mtres,countrys worked 2015 with imax 2000 72
26TM5890
Call Sign: 26TM5890

Post by 26TM5890 »

wow; nice representation of CB wondering when the F word pops in...
Elecraft K2
President Grant II Premium
andrew013
Top Poster
Top Poster
Call Sign: 26AT013

Post by andrew013 »

bitman wrote:wow; nice representation of CB wondering when the F word pops in...
Go to ch 19 idiot band I'm sure you will hear it there
on air,tyne&wear,northumberland,durham,holy island,eu120+eu124 and anywhere from gateshead/north wales
scrap uk 40 give cbers L/M/Hcalling on 27.355/555 usb qsy 27.015 lsb/410 usb cb radio is for life not just for profits
i do cb radio not 11mtres,countrys worked 2015 with imax 2000 72
Kaos
Radio Addict
Radio Addict

Post by Kaos »

Who said anything about EU. They are the European CB Federation. Representing EUROPE, the continent of which UK is a part of, not the EU which UK have voted in favour of leaving.
MrWeetabix
Admin
Admin
Call Sign: 26TM175

Post by MrWeetabix »

It's ambitious.... but unworkable and unenforceable. For example, If you want to work CW on CB then advertise the freqs you will be using and hope that like-minded people will get onboard with that and play-along, but you can't expect people who don't give a crap about CW to move for you when/if you happen to cross paths. The same goes for Digimodes, international calling, national calling etc etc. it is what it is.

The Biggest Radio Forums in the UK got together and conducted a nationwide poll/vote regarding the new legal SSB/AM calling reqs and clear 'winners' were produced from that. Whilst I believe a good number of people still use that as a rule-of-thumb, I bet there are a good chunk more who just do as they please and use their radios as they see fit, to suit their own needs.

Besides, there are already established freqs for most things and if you really do have a passion for a certain sub-set of this little hobby then you'll already know where to find like-minded folk and do your thing. Dealing with interference is just part of the fun. And besides, will it really matter when Olga's back and any channel can become a back-street Ruski Cabbyski chatski channelski for weeks on end anyway?

If you want band plans and regulation, get some Cornflakes, save up the coupons and get a licence (as it apparently works these days :-P)
26TM175. OP: Craig. QTH: Gateshead IO94EW. Also 163TM175 when mobile in Wales 8)

Transmission1 on Facebook http://tinyurl.com/TM1onFB | Tango Mike on Facebook http://tinyurl.com/TangoMikeFB |