Colt Black Shadow 1000 SSB questions

This is the place to discuss any general CB radio related topics. Getting started, installations, operation etc.
Steve B
Regular
Regular

Colt Black Shadow 1000 SSB questions

Post by Steve B »

Hello,

I've fairly recently gotten one of these from a rather old guy for rather cheap, and it appears to work but audio is quiet on transmission and the power is very little on SSB (4 watts PEP blowing into the mic, 2 watt PEP or less whistling). AM carrier however is a perfect 4-5 watts. (Although AM audio is still a little quiet)

Here is a pic:

HOWEVER, if I connect the mic jack to my PC and play RTTY/Beeps/ETC, the TX power on SSB rises up to the completely normal 10-12 watts PEP (when I raise the audio volume to 25 mV) So it really seems like the mic gain needs to be adjusted.

I've already ruled out the microphone as I tried another mic with the same results. It seems like the mic gain is just too low.

I've found the service manual for the Sommerkamp german version of this radio, but when doing the alignment procedure I am unable to find VR4 anywhere, I do find RV4 though but it has no effect on anything i'm supposed to be tuning. I get the feeling that maybe they aren't exactly the same... The schematic I found was also too low-res to read anything. :(

I've got an oscilloscope and other more basic gear (DMM's, SDR's and so forth), unfortunately no signal generator for an RF source but RX on this radio is spot-on anyways so I don't plan to realign reception on this radio anywhere.

Any help would be much appreciated!

Cheers
30-Tango-Mike-003
Good Christian Boys: Midland G7 XTR "Street-Legal" PMR 3-watter - Kenwood UBZ-LJ8 PMR446 - Intek FM548SX (With Homogolation boys 8) )
Naughty Boys: Philips 25W FM1100 UHF w/PA4DEN - Baofeng UV5RA, Superstar 360FM (My good one!) w/ CTE 747 100W Amp
lbcomms
Radio Addict
Radio Addict

Re: Colt Black Shadow 1000 SSB questions

Post by lbcomms »

This is for the mobile version with the same main board:

SSB Tx audio gain trimpot barely visible under the wires, circled in red above.

Try that first, somebody may have been fiddling.

If it's not that, you've probably got a failed component in the Tx audio path, most likely a capacitor.
Steve B
Regular
Regular

Post by Steve B »

Hi, thanks for the response!
Is the pot i'm looking for labeled RV11?

Edit: That pot is already turned to the max, and turning it only decreases the volume :(
30-Tango-Mike-003
Good Christian Boys: Midland G7 XTR "Street-Legal" PMR 3-watter - Kenwood UBZ-LJ8 PMR446 - Intek FM548SX (With Homogolation boys 8) )
Naughty Boys: Philips 25W FM1100 UHF w/PA4DEN - Baofeng UV5RA, Superstar 360FM (My good one!) w/ CTE 747 100W Amp
14CS06
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by 14CS06 »

Last edited by 14CS06 on 13 Apr 2018, 19:12, edited 3 times in total.
Photo Collector CB RADIO
Steve B
Regular
Regular

Post by Steve B »

Wow, awesome! I've not been able to find any schematic with enough res for the text to be readable. Thanks!
30-Tango-Mike-003