Using a 1.6kW amp mobile

This is the place to discuss any general CB radio related topics. Getting started, installations, operation etc.
AShockwav
Regular
Regular
Call Sign: KE6LYU

Re: Using a 1.6kW amp mobile

Post by AShockwav »

https://youtu.be/Hc7eMmFXu9s
Back in 2012.
If you want to see an interesting antenna set-up, search for "sha-sha & blue gill AC Sky"
It is a hobby, some guys like to put superchargers on cars to go fast.They will spend lots of money just to make a few more horsepower.
These guys spend lots of money to see who has the most powerful setup, amps+antenna gain.

Jeff
Gw0wvl
Regular
Regular
Call Sign: Gw0wvl

Post by Gw0wvl »

Ah .... The glow of a pair of 3-500-ZG valves .... Lovely

http://s925.photobucket.com/user/madmar ... ort=1&o=51
"It's not the class of license that the Amateur holds but the class of Amateur that holds the license"

My Youtube channel.. https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCp2TU- ... zxPWrLowNA
grafter
Radio Addict
Radio Addict

Post by grafter »

Dave, did you used to do a run up from Brighton into London on the 23? I'm sure we worked a few times around 82-83 when I was down in Brighton as I've got a sketchy memory of wondering how the hell I could hear someone mobile on Purley Way.
my friend grafter, seems like you are using a very offensive tone in the reply.
ghost123uk
Radio Addict
Radio Addict
Call Sign: 26TM953

Post by ghost123uk »

Thanks for the additional input 148 :thumbup:

Interesting reading and interesting links 8) :crazy:
John, on the S. Cheshire / N. Shropshire border. 26TM953 / muppet handle "Grey ghost"
Don't just monitor, key up and talk, otherwise everyone thinks no one else is out there !!!
Unit 148 Mobile
Call Sign: G4ZOW

Post by Unit 148 Mobile »

Hi Grafter,

Not sure if you're talking about me.

I did not have a regular run on the 23 but did do the London to Brighton run from time to time.

I had a problem in as much as I knew stations could hear me but they were just too down in the weeds and even when I parked up still struggled to make them out of the noise. For this reason I designed my station primarily for shooting skip, It was interesting when I hooked up with similar high power and or high gain antenna system stations as that enabled contact over some really good distances even under completely flat conditions especially at night.
I ran the mobile many nights from either Ally Pally in N. London or Dunstable Downs, sometimes staying out all night, like one did back then.
There was a fella I seem to remember that ran a 4-element yagi vertically polarised from Norfolk with power. He was typically S7-9 into N. London at night on 23.635 LSB and another chap who was the groundsman at Kings Norton golf club in Alvechurch, Worcs. He ran 1kW into a Ham International Big Mac antenna. After visiting him one day I drove all the way back home to Wood Green in N. London without once losing contact.
That is the difference between 4W on a biscuit tin and the mobile station I ran at the time.

I'm considering putting together a beacon on 11m from here in Cyprus where I now live. It would assist anyone knowing that conditions were open to the Eastern Mediterranean and Middle East.

Dava
Regular
Regular
Call Sign: Dava

Post by Dava »

You have to love the lunacy and technical skill involved in running that mental amount of power :clap: