cobra 148 gtl dx

This is the place to discuss any general CB radio related topics. Getting started, installations, operation etc.
stanogs68
Veteran
Veteran

Re: cobra 148 gtl dx

Post by stanogs68 »

beat sorry
love your familly
Tim
Top Poster
Top Poster
Call Sign: 26AT239

Post by Tim »

Are the modern radios going to last as long as the old ones? Come back and answer that question in another 30 or 40 years time and those users of both that are still alive then will be able to say.
Tom
Call Sign: BPO6O

Post by Tom »

This is why I think this site is great you get all answers and we all have a good chat about radios or what ever thanks for all the info :wave:
cb4ever104
Legend
Legend

Post by cb4ever104 »

Mudslinger wrote:IMO it was the Chinese ones (later Jackson and Grant) which were not as good, although people do seem to rate the Chinese Built Lincoln 1s
I'd have no issues about buying another Chinese made Grant Classic. Just as good as the Philippine made version in my opinion. I also have no problems with the 6 band MRF455 black Jackson, or Jackson Classics.

It's these newer Quixhifggv Chinese made thingies that seem no have the issues.
Last edited by cb4ever104 on 26 Mar 2017, 09:54, edited 2 times in total.
30TM060
Paul aka "Sammy". (108) PY60 Old Paisley DX Group (RIP Rab Markie)
Ex GM0 , now EA5 .
Handle "Fortune Hunter" back in "the day"
Radios ....? Anything that says "TAIWAN R.O.C" on the back.
cb4ever104
Legend
Legend

Post by cb4ever104 »

Tim wrote:Are the modern radios going to last as long as the old ones? Come back and answer that question in another 30 or 40 years time and those users of both that are still alive then will be able to say.
Don't think we'll have to wait that long. 5 years should be enough time to find out :)
30TM060
Ex GM0 , now EA5 .
Mudslinger
Legend
Legend

Post by Mudslinger »

There are plenty of the first Anytone AT-5555 and the clones still going, I know someone who has a SS-6900N and it is nearly 4 years old and still runs like clockwork.

But then my First Grant 2 lasted a couple of hours and my Alinco DR-135UK lost its back panel illumination after two weeks.

The Current CRE-8900 I have was secondhand when I bought it and still works well. Better than the DR-135 did to be honest.
Mudslinger - Simon
26TM274
26CT612

There is no such thing as a Fidelity 1000 which is too good to scrap.
stanogs68
Veteran
Veteran

Post by stanogs68 »

listen i love old radios ,there definately best but all the people on the cb now have brand fire new rigs
love your familly
astradyne

Post by astradyne »

Personally, I love the old radio's. 148's, 360's, Lincoln's, Madison's etc. I'm lucky enough to have all of them here to use. I also have a selection of "newer" radio's which I like using. Stryker 955, Midland 8001-XT, SS-6900N etc. Each have their own qualities. But it has to be said the older radio's are better made. Built to last in those days. You just need to be careful you don't get one that's received the golden screwdriver treatment.

The Jackson's (original) are good rigs but need the AGC mod doing to stop strong signals grossly distorting.
Never, ever, ever....bloody anything ever!

Far too many radio's to list here. But I do own a legal one...
Marky-boy
Regular
Regular

Post by Marky-boy »

i always thought the Cobra 148 gtl dx's with the screw at the front middle top of the lid were chinese, 6 screws per lid..
all the 148 gtl dx i had never had the screw in the center of the lid at the front.. anyone know if the early original ones had these 'no.6' screws ?
i saw one which's case was painted, rather than the usual 'acrylic' plasticky ones.. anyone seen ones with real paint (MM II style?)
maybe it was a users spray job.. ?
cb4ever104
Legend
Legend

Post by cb4ever104 »

Marky-boy wrote:i always thought the Cobra 148 gtl dx's with the screw at the front middle top of the lid were chinese, 6 screws per lid.
None of the 148 GTL-DXs were made in China Marky . They were all made in Taiwan in 80/81 . Also , none of them have , or had 6/12 screws . All 5/10 . The "148 GTL" has the extra screw in the top and bottom covers . These were made in Taiwan , the Philippines and Malaysia . Also , the old (79) original mk1 "Superstar 360" (not FM) has the 6 screws . As does the old Grant I think . Both made in Taiwan . There's probably a few more .

Sammy
30TM060
Ex GM0 , now EA5 .
Marky-boy
Regular
Regular

Post by Marky-boy »

fascinating stuff indeed. i used to think that there were only the 2 versions, as in over 30 years i've only ever seen
the classic 879 and 010 chassis sets, but since researching them on the net this last few years, i learnt quite a bit more
about the various similar models.. even saw one on my holiday in the US a few months ago, though it had a front mic and
had the dynamike & voicelock features, but even so, i was eyeing the set up.. but i really wanted another 879 chassis :)

What confused me was i saw online recently and it looked like exactly my 879 chassis,
and it looked old and was complete with the 2 close-spaced PA screws on the back panel
- but with the extra case 6/12 screws, must have been the 79 MKI non-FM Superstar.
that was a new one on me,

Maybe i should have searched instead for "GTL DX" instead of just "cobra 148"
:)

Mark
cb4ever104
Legend
Legend

Post by cb4ever104 »

Yeah . I think you're mixing up the 148 GTL-DX and the 148-GTL . The later made 148-GTL's have the mic socket on the front , and 6 case screws . I think they've got 4 screws on the back due to the bias circuit components . You're right with the 148 GTL-DX . There are only 2 versions with pcb numbers 010 and 879 , but there are also different versions of those pcbs . AA/AB... etc. The last version of the 010 board was used in the President Richard . The 879 pcb was only ever used in the 148-GTL-DX mk1 and the SS360FM mk1 .

The old SS360 is really easy to spot as there's an extra crystal pcb bolted to the left hand side of it . And it has the 6 screws on the case . I have 2 of them now . One has 3 bands (lo/mid and hi) , which was a bit of a job to do as it doesn't have those bands as standard . The other one I bought had already been modded to 5 bands by a previous owner (crystal and binary adders) . Although I added the +10khz on it . Some info on the 360 here .

viewtopic.php?f=53&t=49791
30TM060
Ex GM0 , now EA5 .
astradyne

Post by astradyne »

Don't want to throw a spanner into the works, but there's also the Cobra 148 GTL/EX. This radio has two revisions as far as I know, one with a +10 kHz shift fitted as standard and one without.

Yes, it's basically a rebranded 3900, but it is a genuine Cobra badged radio.

cb4ever104
Legend
Legend

Post by cb4ever104 »

astradyne wrote:Don't want to throw a spanner into the works, but there's also the Cobra 148 GTL/EX. This radio has two revisions as far as I know, one with a +10 kHz shift fitted as standard and one without.

Yeah . I got the impression that the poster was talking about older style silver radios Andy , and as you know the GTL/EX is black I think .

Anyway . I'm sure he'll let us know :)

Cheers
30TM060
Ex GM0 , now EA5 .
astradyne

Post by astradyne »

cb4ever104 wrote:
astradyne wrote:Don't want to throw a spanner into the works, but there's also the Cobra 148 GTL/EX. This radio has two revisions as far as I know, one with a +10 kHz shift fitted as standard and one without.

Yeah . I got the impression that the poster was talking about older style silver radios Andy , and as you know the GTL/EX is black I think .

Anyway . I'm sure he'll let us know :)

Cheers
Correct Sammy. One version black and gold, the other black and silver.

There's always the hybrid oddity, the Superstar 148 GTL...