Dipole Balun, chokes, matchers, etc

This is the place to discuss any general CB radio related topics. Getting started, installations, operation etc.
loudassassin

Dipole Balun, chokes, matchers, etc

Post by loudassassin »

Ive gotten myself confused again (not a hard thing to do, Its becoming regular.)

I used to use a Inverted V dipole mounted on the top of some old sections of aluminum tent poles. Towards the Base I had a few turns of coax coiled up around a pop bottle to act as a choke. I was getting a lovely jubberly low swr.

A few years pass and Ive lost the poles and now its strung up horizontal washing line style, with a bit less coax. I know that it would be better to cut some new wire to the correct size as the original was for a inverted V. I now dont have enough coax to form a choke.

My questions are would it be possible to use what i have now with a matcher? Or if i did get some more wire, how do i work out what balun to use. Or am i that confused that I should take it all down and plant a shrub?
Admiral
Legend
Legend
Call Sign: 26TM157

Re: Dipole Balun, chokes, matchers, etc

Post by Admiral »

The coils of coax before the base of the antenna are a 'dirty' or 'ugly' balun, it won't have a great effect on the VSWR, it merely provides a 1:1 balun (BALanced/UNbalanced) to ensure that the grunt of the signal goes to the radiating element and not to your neighbours alarm system or automatic garage door.
Winner of the 2017 IBTL 'Summer Sizzler' competition
loudassassin

Re: Dipole Balun, chokes, matchers, etc

Post by loudassassin »

Cheers Admiral , so its looking like new wire cut properly to length, and a 1:1 balun to get on the go.