Driving across europe

This is the place to discuss any general CB radio related topics. Getting started, installations, operation etc.
MrWeetabix
Admin
Admin
Call Sign: 26TM175

Re: Driving across europe

Post by MrWeetabix »

Admiral wrote:Clearly the Nazis still have a foothold in Austria and don't embrace the CEPT policy.
Lets hope the Nazis don't have a foothold anywhere any more.
26TM175. OP: Craig. QTH: Gateshead IO94EW. Also 163TM175 when mobile in Wales 8)

Transmission1 on Facebook http://tinyurl.com/TM1onFB | Tango Mike on Facebook http://tinyurl.com/TangoMikeFB |
radiogaga
Top Poster
Top Poster
Call Sign: 26TM399

Post by radiogaga »

andrew013 wrote:Well that makes sense doesn't you need a full ticket to take a ham radio abroad so you want to photoshop a foundation ticket which would be technically breaking the law ,so you could lose the radio
if the op wanted to use 555 abroad a grant 2 with a flick switch would suffice or a reed switch for stealth
You can take what you like abroad in terms Amateur Radio gear, the issue is transmitting with it
26TM399 Hampshire and Isle of Wight
30TM399 Northern Costa Blanca
Admiral
Legend
Legend
Call Sign: 26TM157

Post by Admiral »

MrWeetabix wrote:
Admiral wrote:Clearly the Nazis still have a foothold in Austria and don't embrace the CEPT policy.
Good job Guzzy doesn't roam these pastures any more.
Winner of the 2017 IBTL 'Summer Sizzler' competition
Farty
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Farty »

dt307 wrote: i hear its not hard to pass now and 9 year olds or less do it
There was no shortage of children who passed both parts of the old RAE (after they dropped the lower age limit in the Eighties), including my mates Brother who got me into radio, so I'm not sure what your point it.

And you need a full UK licence to operate abroad, so you've just failed the Foundation Exam.
In Before The Lock Champion of Total Magnificenceness May 2016
dt307
Top Poster
Top Poster
Call Sign: 163dt307

Post by dt307 »

Farty wrote:
dt307 wrote: i hear its not hard to pass now and 9 year olds or less do it
There was no shortage of children who passed both parts of the old RAE (after they dropped the lower age limit in the Eighties), including my mates Brother who got me into radio, so I'm not sure what your point it.

And you need a full UK licence to operate abroad, so you've just failed the Foundation Exam.
My point was it's easy

As for me failing a foundation licence I would be allowed to get some wrong so I think I might scrape through.my father passed the m3 licence when it first came out and he can't wire a mains plug or put on a pl plug of his life depended on it lol...I would be fine but thanks for the vote
163dt307-chris

“I fear the day that technology will surpass our human interaction. The world will have a generation of idiots.”
― Albert Einstein
Farty
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Farty »

It is easy. It always has been easy.

But clearly you wouldn't have passed the foundation, as you don't understand the geographical operating restrictions.
Admiral
Legend
Legend

Post by Admiral »

Now that the RAE is generally at club level and not College evening classes in the C&G days, I guess that is a good thing as you get to mingle with other like-minded people instead of fellow 'students' and a professional or semi-professional tutor.

Still, not too sure where this is going as having a ticket won't really help much when operating a CB in Europe.
Farty
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Farty »

It was someone trying to be clever by claiming the Foundation was easy, while simultaneously demonstrating such a poor understanding of it that they would themselves fail the exam.

Been all over Europe with my Intel M550 power, never had so much as a raised le eyebrow.
Admiral
Legend
Legend

Post by Admiral »

I've never used any mobile radio abroad as it takes all of my concentration to drive on the wrong side of the road as I only do it once or twice a year and not very good at it.

I have driven in France quite a lot over the years and never had the Sûreté or the Gendarmerie check any of my vehicles for red triangles, first aid kits or any of the other crap you are supposed to carry in the boot over there, so the chances of them knowing what kind of rig you have are pretty slim.
mof000
Veteran
Veteran

Post by mof000 »

MrWeetabix wrote:
Depends how the French vote!
I'll pay whatever i think it's worth...:-)
WeatherWatcher
Radio Addict
Radio Addict

Post by WeatherWatcher »

Another thing (not radio related) is type of car also can attract attention, - Was in a convoy going to the ring and every one of us got checked out both going and coming back even the van carrying spare wheels and tyres. Fortunately no one had to have their car recovered back to the UK but keep it simple, no noisy stereos, stickers can even cause offence and check on restrictions about dash cams if fitted. Speed camera /radar detectors are also frowned on.
My only ever purchased radar detector was seized in Spain, so also check what you display on sat nav systems.