Excited by this SWR issue !!

This is the place to discuss any general CB radio related topics. Getting started, installations, operation etc.
ghost123uk
Radio Addict
Radio Addict
Call Sign: 26TM953

Excited by this SWR issue !!

Post by ghost123uk »

Well blow me, after MANY years of messin with CBs, and even running a CB shop, I've never come across this before =

This aerial =

Is ~4 foot long and has a slightly odd coil configuration (is it "collinear?) and an adjustable SWR tip.

I haven't used it for MANY years, but today decided to try it out. SWR = a MILE high :evil:

Nowt wrong with the integrity of the aerial, so I started the usual procedure I use, by using a bit of stiff copper wire and some cutters, starting on a low frequency and cutting until it gets better. Eventually I got there, but in the process found that this twig is so narrow banded you wouldn't believe it. Just 2 or 3 mm will take it from a standing needle on UK C20 to a very high SWR both there and all the way across 27/81 :o

Get it just right, and I mean by 2mm, and it's a standing needle on UK C20, rising to around 1.5:1 at C1 and C40 !!

No good then for multi standard or "free-banding" rigs, but I'm guessing it might have good gain at the frequency range I have tuned it to (27/81)

I've NEVER seen a twig with such sensitive tuning, especially as it's not that small and is helically wound (all be it very non linear windings as per pics).

Can't wait to get some signal reports compared to my normal "control" aerial.
John, on the S. Cheshire / N. Shropshire border. 26TM953 / muppet handle "Grey ghost"
Don't just monitor, key up and talk, otherwise everyone thinks no one else is out there !!!
andrew013
Top Poster
Top Poster
Call Sign: 26AT013

Re: Excited by this SWR issue !!

Post by andrew013 »

Looks more like the bottom half of a legal dipole kind of ariel than a straight out and out Ariel
on air,tyne&wear,northumberland,durham,holy island,eu120+eu124 and anywhere from gateshead/north wales
scrap uk 40 give cbers L/M/Hcalling on 27.355/555 usb qsy 27.015 lsb/410 usb cb radio is for life not just for profits
i do cb radio not 11mtres,countrys worked 2015 with imax 2000 72