just what *is* that smell in old Cybernet CB sets ?

This is the place to discuss any general CB radio related topics. Getting started, installations, operation etc.
Marky-boy
Regular
Regular

just what *is* that smell in old Cybernet CB sets ?

Post by Marky-boy »

just what *is* that smell in old Cybernet CB sets ? when i had the WKS 1001 - silly question i know,
but i instantly was transported back to 1981 as soon as i opened the set (to add +10kc - (Thanks TM1 forums)

i remember an old xtal Army valve set i had as a kidin the 80s, it smelled very strange inside, apparently it was an
antibacterial compound or something hygroscopic i think i was told, deliberately to keep the ond Army set clean (ish)
but it wasn't unpleasant.

I bet someone knows .. old Ham international MM II type sets had the smell too, my WKS1001, and its quite pleasant,
and must be quite strong originally - if it lasted 30 years.. strangely, i dont remember many or any Cobra smelling of it.

any ideas ? -
2E1IIP

Re: just what *is* that smell in old Cybernet CB sets ?

Post by 2E1IIP »

Possibly the PCB material or VCO wax?
andymuza
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by andymuza »

Strange you mention the smell. An old mate of mine came round the other day.

I was in the shack and had a few old CB radios on and a BRL210 on standby. The glow from the old radios and linear is always great, it's like the warm glow of a fire.

Anyway, he comes into the shack and immediately says, "oh wow, that's a great smell from yesteryear, it smalls like AM."
The smell of old radios is pretty good unless it has been in a chain smokers shack lol
I will not be commanded, I will not be controlled.
n+1 the formula for working out how many radios you need with n being the current amount.
DX-Digger
Top Poster
Top Poster
Call Sign: TM205

Post by DX-Digger »

Probably tobacco :D
ʎɐqǝ uo pɹɐoqʎǝʞ ɐ ʎnq ı ǝɯıʇ ʇsɐן ǝɥʇ sı sıɥʇ
Tigersaw
Radio Addict
Radio Addict
Call Sign: GW6RRL

Post by Tigersaw »

I have an old 70's radiogram thats on radio 2 most afternoons.
Anyone that remembers the 70's will immediately recall that warm electrical smell from the era. I find it rather pleasant.
ghost123uk
Radio Addict
Radio Addict
Call Sign: 26TM953

Post by ghost123uk »

This characteristic smell of various radios had never occurred to me, but now as you mention it, you're right 8)

Mind you, on the other hand, the smell that comes from a high power semi-conductor that has gone pop in a big way, as in, has a hole in it, is NOT nice. Also, I believe there is a chemical inside them that is pretty nasty and shouldn't be touched (or sniffed?)
John, on the S. Cheshire / N. Shropshire border. 26TM953 / muppet handle "Grey ghost"
Don't just monitor, key up and talk, otherwise everyone thinks no one else is out there !!!
Marky-boy
Regular
Regular

Post by Marky-boy »

hah hah . some good comments, it *has* to be PCB or the lacquer or something, pretty sure It's not tobacco, for one it's a pleasant smell, and is there in new rigs.. it just seems noticable in the larger Cybernet export sets.. never smellled it in any Ham branded gear.

I also remember the occasional old thermionic gear back from when i was a kid, the fashion then was changing to semiconductors, and such nostalgic pleasures weren't a 'thing' back then i don't think. i think many people were glad to see the back of them in a lot of ways, kind of cool as i picked some really nice valve bass amps up, mind you, the solid state ones didn't feel much lighter..

Sad admission:
after a hard nights rag-chewing on our 10m SSB net, and this is going to sound a bit weird, i almost always used to stick my nose up to the fan of the 101ZD after the session, unless i was a bit too 'refreshed' and forgot before i killed the heaters for the night..
i wish i could bottle that smell & sell it at rallies.

I was never that keen on the smell of semiconductors if they let their magic smoke out, because, as a kid, i remember randomly hooking the 3 legged beasties to my scalextrix transformer occasionally and killing them with extreme prejudice.., although i'm pretty sure it's damn dangerous Ghost123uk, i did try the same thing with old valves the TV repairman gave me and friendly Amateurs.. they just lit up, some only briefly though :)

Happy Christmas folks...
Tigersaw
Radio Addict
Radio Addict
Call Sign: GW6RRL

Post by Tigersaw »

Risk of thread creep, but its 4am and I've had a few malts.. The one smell I'd love to savour again is my Grandad's shed.
Its the 1960's, the shed is an old slam door railway carriage with its own LMS aroma, (yet alone the mystery of how it arrived in 30's suburban semi back garden), with hints of fertiliser, apples, turps, real string, and a whole host of war surplus radio / radar / tank / ship / motorcycle parts.
God bless you Grandad, I'm sure they modelled Dr Emmett Brown on you.
Admiral
Legend
Legend
Call Sign: 26TM157

Post by Admiral »

The smell from old multi-valve sets is ozone generated from the HT. So in theory they resemble the smell of the sea or a thunder storm.
Winner of the 2017 IBTL 'Summer Sizzler' competition
ghost123uk
Radio Addict
Radio Addict
Call Sign: 26TM953

Post by ghost123uk »

Marky-boy wrote:I was never that keen on the smell of semiconductors if they let their magic smoke out,
ghost123uk wrote:the smell that comes from a high power semi-conductor that has gone pop in a big way, as in, has a hole in it, is NOT nice. Also, I believe there is a chemical inside them that is pretty nasty and shouldn't be touched (or sniffed?)
I remembered, just this morning, I didn't look it up, iirc it's Beryllium Oxide.
John, on the S. Cheshire / N. Shropshire border. 26TM953 / muppet handle "Grey ghost"
Don't just monitor, key up and talk, otherwise everyone thinks no one else is out there !!!
Tim
Top Poster
Top Poster
Call Sign: 26AT239

Post by Tim »

So that's why there's so many ola ola and whistlers on the bands, they're getting high on the smell of their radio gear! ;)
Marky-boy
Regular
Regular

Post by Marky-boy »

I don't mind thread creep if the mods don't !

i remember in the 1980s my 2m Microwave Modules linear amp had a warning sticker underneath about Beryllium Oxide, nasty, nasty stuff.

Tigersaw: i fondly remember my Uncles workshop (in Fawley not too far from you) it had a lovely smell of, er wood :) No other joiners workshop ever smelled quite the same somehow., i think it was partly due to the Esso station down the road smelling the air up .. Great Scott !

I don't like the smell of ozone much myself, i remember sparking EHT caps on CRTs back in the day.. looked pretty though !
radio pete
Radio Addict
Radio Addict
Call Sign: 26EY49G7xxx

Post by radio pete »

the smell is PAXOLIN ~PCB
Tim
Top Poster
Top Poster
Call Sign: 26AT239

Post by Tim »

Isn't that what you stuff the turkey with?
Mudslinger
Legend
Legend

Post by Mudslinger »

Tim wrote:Isn't that what you stuff the turkey with?
Some people stuff the turkey in several ways...
Mudslinger - Simon
26TM274
26CT612

There is no such thing as a Fidelity 1000 which is too good to scrap.