11Mtr Packet - PSK31 - is anyone using it?

This is the place to discuss any general CB radio related topics. Getting started, installations, operation etc.
Admiral
Legend
Legend
Call Sign: 26TM157

Re: 11Mtr Packet - PSK31 - is anyone using it?

Post by Admiral »

Back in the day we used 27.545, the alpha below 555 for data, I genuinely have no idea if anyone is still active there as I'm going back 10 years.

**EDIT** actually nearly 20 years
Winner of the 2017 IBTL 'Summer Sizzler' competition
ghost123uk
Radio Addict
Radio Addict
Call Sign: 26TM953

Post by ghost123uk »

Aye, I'll give it look ^^^

Somebody has to take the plunge, and what with the weather, and days off work.......... :roll:

And "She" is happy watching TV :?

Someone may be along soon to either point to an active frequency, or even arrange a Sked :o
John, on the S. Cheshire / N. Shropshire border. 26TM953 / muppet handle "Grey ghost"
Don't just monitor, key up and talk, otherwise everyone thinks no one else is out there !!!
Admiral
Legend
Legend
Call Sign: 26TM157

Post by Admiral »

I think it's the same old story, if you just keep pumping it out on a frequency then eventually someone will come back, maybe not today.... maybe not tomorrow... but one day.
Winner of the 2017 IBTL 'Summer Sizzler' competition
ghost123uk
Radio Addict
Radio Addict

Post by ghost123uk »

In these days of quiet channels (though today has been quite busy on 555 and 565, mostly fairly local stuff) the idea of leaving a "semi attended" ( ;) ) station, automatically sending out CQ and QSO requests, the replies to which are recorded on the screen for later perusal and where possible, action, appeals 8) The ability of it to work effectively under poor signal conditions is also curiously cool.
Last edited by ghost123uk on 02 Jan 2017, 16:07, edited 1 time in total.
John, on the S. Cheshire / N. Shropshire border. 26TM953 / muppet handle "Grey ghost"
Don't just monitor, key up and talk, otherwise everyone thinks no one else is out there !!!
Black_Pirate
Top Poster
Top Poster
Call Sign: 26TM034

Post by Black_Pirate »

its 27.235 fm for all packet when the skips running...with ui-view loaded and running you can connect this via the server .... and see all stations running ( wx ...cars ....stations... etc..) so you know whos on....IF propagation ever comes back lol rf stations can connect back and forth....as your station acts like a node... / relay...
cable for audio is a pound... with soundcard software tx its easily made...
£28 for a well made " box" on ebay search psk31.... does all the modes and other things too....
lots of info...
http://uz7.ho.ua/modem_beta/user_guide_v045b_EN.pdf

http://zr6aic.blogspot.co.uk/2012/02/pa ... modem.html

http://www.mcminnarc.com/packet/packet.html
looking for propagation for 2013 and beyond... Operating close to the Edge....
of reason......and the Quantocks...
Didi modes (JS8 on 27.245 usb) txt messages via radio lol at minus- 10 to 20 db..... 😊 See FB page...

26T.M.034
GOOD LUCK IN DX
ghost123uk
Radio Addict
Radio Addict

Post by ghost123uk »

Once again, thanks for the interesting links.

Thanks to your suggestion, right away I found THIS BOX on Ebay for £35 that does all that I have been "cobbling up". I don't need it (now) but it would be useful for someone wanting to give this a try.

And THIS SELLER has another useful box, and advertises that he can make any PSK "box" to your requirements, including proper isolation transformers or even opto isolators 8)
Black_Pirate
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by Black_Pirate »

yes the latest one is quite cute.... dont forget most of the digimodes are fun...at times
the latest wspr low power 1-5 watts running up to 12000 miles + some fantastic results on tiny power and wire antennas...some running just frm the raspberry pi.... 1/4 watt...
lol.....once you have one mode going it should be ok for a few more...!?? slightly different settings ,i have found... good luck and fingers Xed for the return of conditions ...dontbforget to use that old computer for something...
Didi modes (JS8 on 27.245 usb) txt messages via radio lol at minus- 10 to 20 db..... 😊 See FB page...

26T.M.034
GOOD LUCK IN DX
Black_Pirate
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by Black_Pirate »

oh forgot cbaprs can be made to work on android and windows phones..no interface needed ..cheap free car tracker i suppose and some good stations all over Europe and monitor weather balloons on 400 mhz to 60.000 ft
apparently

26T.M.034
GOOD LUCK IN DX
JollyRoger

Post by JollyRoger »

Another thread that was started a while back called Packet Radio on CB might be of some use to some of you. :thumbup:

Link Here
Regards JR

"Those who say it cannot be done shouldn't interrupt the people doing it"
ghost123uk
Radio Addict
Radio Addict

Post by ghost123uk »

Thanks for that link, I read it all :)

I still have not got a way of using the PTT electronically via fldigi, so this project has stalled for now :(

I know I could buy a "box" (££'s), but in theory, the requirement of a simple com port DTR or RTS pin operated relay is all I need, but cannot get :(
Black_Pirate
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by Black_Pirate »

http://www.soundcardpacket.com still going..???

www.jbgizmo.com/page28.htm

dont need much cash...to try

26T.M.034
GOOD LUCK IN DX
MikeSierra
Regular
Regular

Post by MikeSierra »

The problem with CB radios and digimodes is that the radio is usually not suited for connection to a PC soundcard like a HAM radio is.
The reason for this is the 2-pole switch in the microphone, which controls 3 signals (TX audio, RX control and PTT).
Furthermore, steering PTT from a serial port with only a transistor gives away the benefits of galvanic isolation which the audio transfomers provide.
This is how I think a CB radio should be connected to a PC..
Picture:
cb_pc_if_v001b.png
PDF:
CB_PC_IF_V001b.pdf
EasyEDA project:
https://easyeda.com/Midas/interface-ded ... 6680a5948a

For packet radio I recommend UZ7HO soundmodem (+client program), otherwise fldigi.
-mS
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
ghost123uk
Radio Addict
Radio Addict

Post by ghost123uk »

Yes, I was just trying to do this on the quick, cheap and dirty route. Back in the day I used a "Baycom" modem thingy which worked fine. However, recently I have had some good results using simple attenuators for the audio in/out onto a PC soundcard, running fldigi (on Linux). The only stumbling block has been the lack of availability of a proper, simple USB to "real" serial port adapter and a simple interface from that serial port to a relay for PTT via DTR / RTS pins, which is what fldigi uses. I know I could spend £ss and buy a "box", or even make one :o , but I want a quick and cheap solution to test the waters. So far I have been doing manual PTT via a toggle switch, but that kinda defeats much of the functionality of what the fldigi packet software can do.
MikeSierra
Regular
Regular

Post by MikeSierra »

ghost123uk wrote:Yes, I was just trying to do this on the quick, cheap and dirty route. Back in the day I used a "Baycom" modem thingy which worked fine. However, recently I have had some good results using simple attenuators for the audio in/out onto a PC soundcard, running fldigi (on Linux). The only stumbling block has been the lack of availability of a proper, simple USB to "real" serial port adapter and a simple interface from that serial port to a relay for PTT via DTR / RTS pins, which is what fldigi uses. I know I could spend £ss and buy a "box", or even make one :o , but I want a quick and cheap solution to test the waters. So far I have been doing manual PTT via a toggle switch, but that kinda defeats much of the functionality of what the fldigi packet software can do.
An USB serial port adapter puts out some 35mA on a pin when shorted and ~25mA when connected to a load - this is at +5V. A Hongfa or Omron 12V relay needs ~40mA at 12V to pull properly. Some external power has to be applied, and what better than the +12V you already have at the back of your radio?
And for PTT to work properly on a (traditional) CB radio you will need a relay. Those boxes made for ham radio will not work without additional PTT relay or modification with a CB radio. HAM radio is simple to connect - PTT is active when connected to ground and RX/TX audio lines can be connected at all times. With CB radio RX control, TX audio and PTT all have to be switched.
Audio out from the radio is best when grabbed from external speaker jack at the back of the radio (with a suitable resistive load) and not from the microphone connector.
ghost123uk
Radio Addict
Radio Addict

Post by ghost123uk »

MikeSierra wrote: An USB serial port adapter puts out some 35mA on a pin when shorted and ~25mA when connected to a load - this is at +5V. A Hongfa or Omron 12V relay needs ~40mA at 12V to pull properly. Some external power has to be applied, and what better than the +12V you already have at the back of your radio?
Agreed, but one still needs a bit of a circuit made up to act as a buffer switch to operate the relay.

Summat like this =

MikeSierra wrote:And for PTT to work properly on a (traditional) CB radio you will need a relay. Those boxes made for ham radio will not work without additional PTT relay or modification with a CB radio. HAM radio is simple to connect - PTT is active when connected to ground and RX/TX audio lines can be connected at all times. With CB radio RX control, TX audio and PTT all have to be switched.
Yes, got that (DPDT relay) :thumbup:
MikeSierra wrote:Audio out from the radio is best when grabbed from external speaker jack at the back of the radio (with a suitable resistive load) and not from the microphone connector.
And got that method in operation too :thumbup:

Cheers for the input :thumbup: