Quiet bands = vicious circle

This is the place to discuss any general CB radio related topics. Getting started, installations, operation etc.
ghost123uk
Radio Addict
Radio Addict
Call Sign: 26TM953

Re: Quiet bands = vicious circle

Post by ghost123uk »

ChrisMagpie wrote:How about replacing the stock radio aerial with one of these:
http://www.sirioantenne.it/hf-mobile/tr ... m-gsm-900/
Interesting that ^^^ but not for me. Too much faffing around to fit it, especially as, in view of it's size, it's performance can't be great.
The Collector wrote:Just watch that a horizontal bar doesn't whistle like a kettle when you get up to speed. I swapped my Espace's bars around for aethetic reasons and the flat-sided edge made a right whistling/humming noise whereas the rounded side was almost silent. Damn those aerodynamics!
Ah, good point. If that is an issue, I can fit some round section tubing (chrome or SS from B&Q) because the design of the existing roof bars will allow that.

I have ordered that simple mount I refereed to above (somewhere) and will get some Ally bar tomorrow. For now I will assemble it all with just my trusty Cybernet Beta 1000 as that is a nice small set that will fit where I want a rig to go. If it all works ok, I will then likely purchase a modern small multi-mode (as discussed in one of my other threads on here). Just got to decide what twig to go for. I own about 6 at present, but they are all old skool and I want summat modern looking for this car :roll:
John, on the S. Cheshire / N. Shropshire border. 26TM953 / muppet handle "Grey ghost"
Don't just monitor, key up and talk, otherwise everyone thinks no one else is out there !!!
ghost123uk
Radio Addict
Radio Addict

Post by ghost123uk »

Anyway, back on topic = Quite bands = vicious circle, meaning if one constantly finds the bands "dead" one is less inclined to switch on, in fact one might be tempted to give up CB radio. The bands then become "deader" and the vicious circle continues. This had crossed my mind when I got this new vehicle mentioned further up this thread. Should I bother fitting it out properly with a rig etc. I mean, if the bands are dead, why bother with the trouble and expence.

The reason why to bother is to help avoid the vicious circle, so I have decided to install it 8)

Over on this topic -> viewtopic.php?f=2&t=52428 (regarding SSB calling frequencies), Admiral wrote:-
Far too often 20 people will sit and listen to the calling channel, not call, as they're waiting for someone else to call, then switch off and say it was dead.
I totally agree with that. It applies on the FM bands as well. Many a time I have driven around with the squelch "just on" and not a peep, then I call out and get multiple replies, often leading to a net (on another channel of course). A bit like in the old muppet days calling "one nine for a roger" :roll:

Mind you, many a time I have called out (usually on UK19FM) loads of times during a journey and not had any replies, so come on folk, lets all help keep it alive by using it in TX mode as often as we can ;)
John, on the S. Cheshire / N. Shropshire border. 26TM953 / muppet handle "Grey ghost"
Don't just monitor, key up and talk, otherwise everyone thinks no one else is out there !!!
ghost123uk
Radio Addict
Radio Addict

Post by ghost123uk »

Discussion re antenna and plastic & glass roof continued here -> viewtopic.php?f=2&t=52455
superstar
Veteran
Veteran

Post by superstar »

Sell the vehicle and buy a jacked up mk3 cortina
Buying and hoarding CB radio's is an illness
Cb handle
1980-1993, "AL Capone"
1993-present, "Superstar"
occupation-running a retirement home for elderly cb radios
Fozzy Bear dont care ya know, so er thats the story!
ghost123uk
Radio Addict
Radio Addict

Post by ghost123uk »

ghost123uk wrote: Over on this topic -> viewtopic.php?f=2&t=52428 (regarding SSB calling frequencies), Admiral wrote:-
Far too often 20 people will sit and listen to the calling channel, not call, as they're waiting for someone else to call, then switch off and say it was dead.
I totally agree with that. Many a time I have driven around with the squelch "just on" and not a peep, then I call out and get multiple replies, often leading to a net (on another channel of course). A bit like in the old muppet days calling "one nine for a roger" :roll: So come on folk, lets all help keep it alive by using it in TX mode as often as we can ;)
I've been putting this into practice, and spreading the concept, and just in the time since I wrote that ^^^ I'll swear it's got more lively round my way. It can start with a corny "one nine for a rig check", or what ever, but it works 8)