crt ss9900 anyone?

This is the place to discuss any general CB radio related topics. Getting started, installations, operation etc.
B5566

Re: crt ss9900 anyone?

Post by B5566 »

Whoa! So cb now is new amateur radio? Why not just get the ticket and do "dx" proper way then?
Nb still can't get the idea of working dx on split. What's the purpose of this shift between rx and tx?

I'd rather have echo on cb than split.
Resistance is futile.
andrew013
Top Poster
Top Poster
Call Sign: 26AT013

Post by andrew013 »

I didnt know there was a proper way to dx i thought talking to another person in an other country or at least a couple hundred miles away was dxing regardless of what frequency you were on
And is "your 5 and 9 goodbye" the right way to dx, dont think so
I actually dont like working splits there are stations that say tx on say 590 and say listening 600 to 615 now that is just pointless your shouting all over the band as you dont know where he's listening so more qrm for everyone
Any ses or iota i do is always simplex may as well just cause qrm on one freq and i wouldnt dx with an echo either
I guess working split means everybody is listening to the rare dxcc station or ses talking back and not shouting over him or her when they reply back to someone like what happend to me yesterday the station in peru was repling back to me and a t i t in Brazil shouted over him so i had to ask again what he said and tell the t i t in brazil to shut the f up
on air,tyne&wear,northumberland,durham,holy island,eu120+eu124 and anywhere from gateshead/north wales
scrap uk 40 give cbers L/M/Hcalling on 27.355/555 usb qsy 27.015 lsb/410 usb cb radio is for life not just for profits
i do cb radio not 11mtres,countrys worked 2015 with imax 2000 72
B5566

Post by B5566 »

My understanding of the proper way to do dx is being licensed amateur, using relevant gear with a choice of bands to work. All so called "11m dx" with made up call signs and AT "divisions" is simply childish play to me. Of course there's many operators who could teach amateur radio operators how to work dx and how to behave on the radio in general, but still - on amateur radio I am amateur radio operator, on CB radio I am cber. When I hear some distant station I simply enjoy talking to it, that's it. I disregard AT divisions and made up call signs, won't be acting the maggot while I own "legal" one (and make use of it for dx even more seldom as I talk to dx on cb). I am not AT member nor ever was so why would I ever use their made up system? Also I am not going to qsl (rarely do on amateur radio and only when I'll receive a card), I 've no interest in qsl and collecting"divisions" but always happy to say my name and place and if someone really fancies it - swap a postcard. That's it. But I know that it's hard to understand that I am not "division 29" but Ireland and I don't have a call sign but just a name or a handle (for friends). Ok I'll cut it here as its not my intention to spark another war cb vs ham. Thanks for the info anyway, I really didn't know how serious some people are about 1qm dx.
Resistance is futile.
GeeFull
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by GeeFull »

B5566 wrote:My understanding of the proper way to do dx is being licensed amateur, using relevant gear with a choice of bands to work. All so called "11m dx" with made up call signs and AT "divisions" is simply childish play to me. Of course there's many operators who could teach amateur radio operators how to work dx and how to behave on the radio in general, but still - on amateur radio I am amateur radio operator, on CB radio I am cber. When I hear some distant station I simply enjoy talking to it, that's it. I disregard AT divisions and made up call signs, won't be acting the maggot while I own "legal" one (and make use of it for dx even more seldom as I talk to dx on cb). I am not AT member nor ever was so why would I ever use their made up system? Also I am not going to qsl (rarely do on amateur radio and only when I'll receive a card), I 've no interest in qsl and collecting"divisions" but always happy to say my name and place and if someone really fancies it - swap a postcard. That's it. But I know that it's hard to understand that I am not "division 29" but Ireland and I don't have a call sign but just a name or a handle (for friends). Ok I'll cut it here as its not my intention to spark another war cb vs ham. Thanks for the info anyway, I really didn't know how serious some people are about 1qm dx.
Personaly, as a licenced amateur myself for some 40 years, DX is DX, irrespective of whether its on amateur bands or 11 metres CB?
Of course what constitutes actual DX varies from person to person, one mans DX to another is easy peasy semi local, etc. etc.
There is no "propper way" to DX, it mearly entails holding a conversation with someone you deem as suitably distant to warrant the term "DX", and succesfuly swapping whatever details you feel constitutes a good contact!
That can be a quick 5 and 9, 73!, or could be a nice long "ragchew"!
Each to their own in that respect!
And whilst I have never bought into the CB "divisions" mentality myself, always using a personal callsign or just my name on CB, and of course my amateur callsign on those associated bands, I DO understand why CB'ers use this system, whoever "invented it"!
On amateur radio, on hearing someones callsign prefix, you can instantly, or via a quick look up, discover "where in the World" they are located, (most of the time, special calls can sometimes throw you), all CB'ers have done is invent their own version of that system to do EXACTLY the same!
Whats wrong with that?
And although I am not one of them, SOME people take their DX chasing on CB very seriously, and why not, its the band they have chosen to play on!
cjay
Top Poster
Top Poster
Call Sign: cjay

Post by cjay »

GeeFull wrote:
B5566 wrote:My understanding of the proper way to do dx is being licensed amateur, using relevant gear with a choice of bands to work. All so called "11m dx" with made up call signs and AT "divisions" is simply childish play to me. Of course there's many operators who could teach amateur radio operators how to work dx and how to behave on the radio in general, but still - on amateur radio I am amateur radio operator, on CB radio I am cber. When I hear some distant station I simply enjoy talking to it, that's it. I disregard AT divisions and made up call signs, won't be acting the maggot while I own "legal" one (and make use of it for dx even more seldom as I talk to dx on cb). I am not AT member nor ever was so why would I ever use their made up system? Also I am not going to qsl (rarely do on amateur radio and only when I'll receive a card), I 've no interest in qsl and collecting"divisions" but always happy to say my name and place and if someone really fancies it - swap a postcard. That's it. But I know that it's hard to understand that I am not "division 29" but Ireland and I don't have a call sign but just a name or a handle (for friends). Ok I'll cut it here as its not my intention to spark another war cb vs ham. Thanks for the info anyway, I really didn't know how serious some people are about 1qm dx.
Personaly, as a licenced amateur myself for some 40 years, DX is DX, irrespective of whether its on amateur bands or 11 metres CB?
Of course what constitutes actual DX varies from person to person, one mans DX to another is easy peasy semi local, etc. etc.
There is no "propper way" to DX, it mearly entails holding a conversation with someone you deem as suitably distant to warrant the term "DX", and succesfuly swapping whatever details you feel constitutes a good contact!
That can be a quick 5 and 9, 73!, or could be a nice long "ragchew"!
Each to their own in that respect!
And whilst I have never bought into the CB "divisions" mentality myself, always using a personal callsign or just my name on CB, and of course my amateur callsign on those associated bands, I DO understand why CB'ers use this system, whoever "invented it"!
On amateur radio, on hearing someones callsign prefix, you can instantly, or via a quick look up, discover "where in the World" they are located, (most of the time, special calls can sometimes throw you), all CB'ers have done is invent their own version of that system to do EXACTLY the same!
Whats wrong with that?
And although I am not one of them, SOME people take their DX chasing on CB very seriously, and why not, its the band they have chosen to play on!
Wot Geefull said. My thoughts exactly, DX is a personal thing, band, power, QSL card collecting or just a rag chew. There is no 'proper way' it's all radio and it's to be enjoyed.
GeeFull
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by GeeFull »

I would aslo add on the subject of some of these "new fangled" 10/11/12 metre radios including CTCSS and split frequency programmable "offsets", why not?
They are increasingly aimed at a "crossover audience", NOT just straight CB'ers, just as many "licenced amateurs" are buying them as "CB'ers"!
So for 10 metre FM repeater use, for the licenced, its a great added function, or if they are trying to work an SSB DXpeditition on 10 metres, that these days almost ALWAYS seem to use some form of split frequency operation!
I won't go into the rights and wrong of that, I have my own personal opinions of spectrum greed, but once again each to their own!
Added to that, lets look at a non amateur, buys one of said radios for just a CB dabble.
Then sits and passes his FL amateur radio course.
He has a 10 metre multimode radio instantly to play with, with CTCSS and spiit frequency offset, should he want to play 10 metres FM repeaters.
Also he "fancies" a dabble on 2 metres "multimode", so picks up a second hand Spectrum, Microwave Modules, or whatever 10/2 metre transverter, and he now has 2 metres "multimode", plus 10 metres "multimode", without the need to find a stand alone 2 metre multimode radio!
As long as he sets the drive level suitably, to get his 10 watts out of the transverter on 2 etc. etc.
And the very fact the radio includes CTCSS and split frequency functions, means he can play 2 metre repeaters, if thats his thing!
He has at his disposal, a perfectly legal 10 metre multimode radio,(if its set back there, but we won't get into symantics!), with useful CTCSS and offset split frequency functions, and from there can transvert wherever!
There may be little use for split frequency on CB itself, unless split operation DX becomes the norm there, but it certainly is a bonus for 10 metre operation, which these radios are commonly sold as covering, and also for the bands you might choose to transvert too!
Last edited by GeeFull on 26 Feb 2015, 14:04, edited 1 time in total.
Road_Hog
Banned
Banned

Post by Road_Hog »

GeeFull wrote:They are increasingly aimed at a "crossover audience", NOT just straight CB'ers, just as many "licenced amateurs" are buying them as "CB'ers"!
In fairness, that's mainly because the Septics Technician (our Foundation) licence only allows voice on the 10m band of the HF spectrum.
GeeFull
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by GeeFull »

Road_Hog wrote:
GeeFull wrote:They are increasingly aimed at a "crossover audience", NOT just straight CB'ers, just as many "licenced amateurs" are buying them as "CB'ers"!
In fairness, that's mainly because the Septics Technician (our Foundation) licence only allows voice on the 10m band of the HF spectrum.
Not really, many buy them that hold "full licences", just for "voice" as well, as a chuck in the car 10 metre chat box offering!
Licence level modes restriction has little bearing on who actualy buys them for "amateur use", its mainly the fact that those buying them can chuck something in the car, these days of a "reasonable" power output, that doesn't have to be a far more expensive "YaeComWood" shack in a box jobby!
I know quite a few "amateurs" that grabbed a £99 Alinco in the recent "bargain bucket" sell off, for exactly that reason, and I won't get drawn into whether they are any good or not, as I didn't buy one, I still use my old trusty Belcom LS 102! :D
Road_Hog
Banned
Banned

Post by Road_Hog »

GeeFull wrote:I know quite a few "amateurs" that grabbed a £99 Alinco in the recent "bargain bucket" sell off, for exactly that reason,
Who, can blame them. You get one of the big four names, Alinco, but best of all, it comes with a rather nifty built in echo. I've tried it myself (rig to rig).
GeeFull
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by GeeFull »

Road_Hog wrote:
GeeFull wrote:I know quite a few "amateurs" that grabbed a £99 Alinco in the recent "bargain bucket" sell off, for exactly that reason,
Who, can blame them. You get one of the big four names, Alinco, but best of all, it comes with a rather nifty built in echo. I've tried it myself (rig to rig).
Ahh so thats the attraction, you don't just give a meager 5 and 9, you give a 5555 and and and and 9999! :D
I knew they must have one beneficial selling point! ;)
andrew013
Top Poster
Top Poster
Call Sign: 26AT013

Post by andrew013 »

this thread is so far off topic now ill try and get it back on track in a bit , but
as said dx is dx not just being a licenced ham i was licened cb er with an allocated callsign of 2G0GB when they tryed to ham up cb i used that on cb mid fm and worked EU stations so no mickey mouse AT homemade diviision callsign in sight which by the way is so much easier to work out where people are from than some ham calls ive heard on air, i guess it depends on what your used to
right back on track ish
i went back to cb shop and im getting my money back off the ss9900 he wont gamble me having a 3rd faulty radio lol those are his words not mine , so do i try 3rd time lucky from another supply or get something different or go back the ft857 in the car , decisions decisions
Last edited by andrew013 on 26 Feb 2015, 17:29, edited 1 time in total.
on air,tyne&wear,northumberland,durham,holy island,eu120+eu124 and anywhere from gateshead/north wales
scrap uk 40 give cbers L/M/Hcalling on 27.355/555 usb qsy 27.015 lsb/410 usb cb radio is for life not just for profits
i do cb radio not 11mtres,countrys worked 2015 with imax 2000 72
GeeFull
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by GeeFull »

andrew233 wrote:this thread is so far off topic now ill try and get it back on track in a bit , but
as said dx is dx not just being a licenced ham i was licened cb er with an allocated callsign of 2G0GB when they tryed to ham up cb i used that on cb mid fm and worked EU stations so no mickey mouse AT homemade diviision callsign in sight which by the way is so much easier to work out where people are from than some ham calls ive heard on air, i guess it depends on what your used to
right back on track ish
i went back to cb shop and im getting my money back of the ss9900 he wont gamble me having a 3rd faulty radio lol those are his words not mine , so do i try 3rd time lucky from another supply or get something different or go back the ft857 in the car , decisions decisions
If you are not interested in offsets and CTCSS, pick up an old Belcom LS102, can't fault mine for the 35 years of service it has given, reasonable linear tagged on the end, (If you feel the stock 12/15 watts FM/SSB and 4 watts AM is somewhat underpowered), and the fact I only do SSB or FM/AM simplex, and I can't fault it really! (No split or CTCSS of course).
Yes the filtering could be better, but 10 metres is never that crowded to be a problem, and sensitivity wise, as good as any similar modern offerings I have tried on the bench!
On trying a "third time", personaly I wouldn't, as whoever you buy it from, they only aquired it from the same source in all likelyhood!
Once bitten, maybe try again, twice bitten for me, would be third time shy!
B5566

Post by B5566 »

Well that's ok. As mentioned above - I don't really take in "haming up" CB, not even going on 27.555 what is often hard to tell from 14.195. Shame on Olga persistence all around 25-30MHz! For me CB is Base 40ty - cause is quiet (locally) and ignored by left over CB operators and all below as it is more interesting than all above mids. Namely I find 26MHz part more relaxed and casual than Italian/Spanish crowded 27.4 and up with its usual activity.

Oh off topic chats!

One good side of Echo module - I've got it set up nicely here. Just VR description as VOLUME is deceiving as this is basically TIME. Also AM rx is very quiet and to be honest I actually like how it sounds. This radio is still a joke anyway and plenty of improvement can de done to fix it.

Squelch on same potentiometer as rit - fail
Rf gain on same potentiometer as rf power - weird but acceptable

Scrolling through modes - fail - I'd rather see mode up / down buttons than this stupid freq to switch between frequency/channel display what could have been easily replaced by memory function.

No CW mode - fail. Actually if it's half arsed amateur radio then FSK should also be in it.

USB port but no data modes or CAT style control - fail.

60 watts max power - FAIL. This thing runs HOT even on full AM 15 watts. Heatsink should be way bigger.

Overall built quality - below my modest standards.
I don't mind, funny toy to play, but it's far cry from what I would expect from a radio.
Resistance is futile.
RadioPixie
Top Poster
Top Poster
Call Sign: 26TM552

Post by RadioPixie »

I know several amateurs recently down 'ere that have purchased the CRT SS9900. And two of them at least have full licences. I would buy have one myself if I didn't have the Alinclone DR135CB (then that would be 3 full hams using Anyclone CB/10m gear ;) ) . What's the FL or any other level have to do with it. And so what if it's used for CB as long as no one is receiving undue interference from the 9900.

It's up to the buyer what they wish from a radio. Not every one is going to use ctcss and repeater shifts, but it's there if you have need for such facilities.

And as for "septic technicians" that only can use voice. Nope, they can use CW, data and whatever.
73 from Dave the Pixie - 26CT052 - 26TM552 - CB Radioaficionado
Road_Hog
Banned
Banned

Post by Road_Hog »

RadioPixie wrote: And as for "septic technicians" that only can use voice. Nope, they can use CW, data and whatever.
No, I said that 10m is the only voice option on HF. They can use other modes and other frequencies, but if they want to use voice, it's 10m only.

If you are going to correct me, at least make sure you're right first.

Technician licensees now also have additional privileges on certain HF frequencies. Technicians may also operate on the 80, 40 and 15 meter bands using CW, and on the 10 meter band using CW, voice and digital modes.

http://www.arrl.org/getting-your-technician-license