VHF CB Radio/Freenet in the UK?

This is the place to discuss any general CB radio related topics. Getting started, installations, operation etc.
ChelseaCat
Radio Addict
Radio Addict
Call Sign: 26PS001

Re: VHF CB Radio/Freenet in the UK?

Post by ChelseaCat »

Its just not the same, too many radio police that think they are processionals and get paid for being on radio lol, got my 2E0 :?

oooooooooops sorry forgot to give my call sign out and its been 15minutes and 10 seconds :lol:

Some great lads on their as well mind, Ive made some good friends but they all think the same as me, we now meet on CB channels through the night rather than 2metres thats such a shame after the effort we put in to gain our licences.
RadioPixie
Top Poster
Top Poster
Call Sign: 26TM552

Post by RadioPixie »

Tarambor wrote:Get your foundation licenses. Lots of empty space on 2m/70cm and they may be adding another 1MHz to go unused on 2m.
I have a full amateur licence and still wish to see the CB system to be upgraded.

Not everyone wishes to get technically involved in radio, and their needs should be supported as the needs of amateurs should be supported.

CB has it's niche. There is many threads and posts on the licence-exempt sub-forum where time and again posters wish to you a relatively cheap, short to medium range, licence free (or cheap), informal radio system for hobby and non-professional usage. Unfortunately PMR446 at 1/2 watt erp isn't powerful or reliable enough.

One of the problem with the amateur licence is its terms and conditions. For example, if you and your mates are off on a convoy and you all wish to have radio contact within 10km radius, VHF would be ideal, but you couldn't give them all 2m amateur handies (and little magmounts) to use unless they do the amateurs exam and get it licence. Most people would say "bugger that".

As for the potential for that extra 1 MHz (146 to 147MHz), well what as is being proposed it will be allocated via a NoV and most NoV's are usually only for full licence holders. Plus there will be restrictions on that segment plus it's long term future is questionable (as I understand it from the little information that has been released).
73 from Dave the Pixie - 26CT052 - 26TM552 - CB Radioaficionado
Otter
Veteran
Veteran
Call Sign: 26TM439

Post by Otter »

Tarambor wrote:Get your foundation licenses. Lots of empty space on 2m/70cm and they may be adding another 1MHz to go unused on 2m.
Amateur radio is not CB. FFS!. Chalk and cheese.

The problem with Amateur radio is the old todgers on there.
"To this day the words Stirling bridge conjour pride in every Scotsman's heart, while to an Englishman those same words conjour literally no feelings at all." - Cunk on Britain S1 E1
ChelseaCat
Radio Addict
Radio Addict

Post by ChelseaCat »

Got this today from Ofcom today..........

Acknowledging your response to the consultation.

Kind Regards

Kevin Delaney

Spectrum Policy and Planning Manager

Business Radio

Ofcom
Adriano9966
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Adriano9966 »

ChelseaCat wrote:Got this today from Ofcom today..........

Acknowledging your response to the consultation.

Kind Regards

Kevin Delaney

Spectrum Policy and Planning Manager

Business Radio

Ofcom
:) yep the same here but I do think it is worthwhile responding to this consultation because that way ofcom can see that there is indeed public support for having such a service.

I was on 934 at one point but it took me a long time in order to afford some second hand equipment ...Really I think this was the big stumbling block to the bands popularity. Nowadays it would be much cheaper and easier to produce transceivers for that band and if we still had 934 it would be mega popular now in my opinion.
As it is the spectrum was on a premium and it was taken away due to the requirements of cell phones.
:) I think what I am trying to say is that if the regulator took uhf channels away from CB operators because spectrum was needed if there is now available spectrum on vhf its only fair that the regulator releases a measly 20 channels of spectrum for cb radio use......surely??

I don't personally see any harm in the ordinary citizen having more this is after all our country and the regulator that manages the spectrum is supposed working on our behalf ;)
Windy_Miller
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by Windy_Miller »

bigpimp347 wrote:is there really that many CBers out there to justify another CB band ??
Never in a month of Sundays. If OFCOM were to look on here, they would read that many folk complain that there is no-one in their area to speak to. And thats with 80 channels already.

Moaning about "RF Fog" and interference from plasma TV's etc, will just reinforce the point that most will use any allocation from home base to home base, not mobile. Kinda defeats the purpose of radio then....

Equipment cost will be high - OFCOM are not going to allocate it then sit back whilst foloks play on it with their Baofengs. Equipment will need some sort of type approval, and be locked down in some form or another, to stop the "Hey, lets just make these under used marine VHF channels our unofficial VHF CB band extension" brigade.
ChelseaCat
Radio Addict
Radio Addict

Post by ChelseaCat »

Well they are making am and ssb legal on the mids and that gear will need some sort of approval, I cant see the radios costing much more than a grant 2 TBH. If people are willing to buy them then why not, thats why they ask the public to put proposals forward.

Lets just hope it will happen but if not then at least we tried, nothing ventured nothing gained ;)
M0PLT
Call Sign: M0PLT

Post by M0PLT »

This is what I wrote:
I believe that Ofcom should consider a new UK VHF Citizens' Band allocation in a frequency band that would be preferred by CEPT member countries for adoption throughout the EU. With the lack of enforcement of non-EMC-compliant electronics and the increasing incidents of radio interference, it has become extremely difficult to use the current 27MHz Citizens' Band allocation for local communications. A VHF C.B. allocation clear of ionospheric "skip", interference from Power Line Technology, Plasma televisions, and Switched Mode Power Supplies, in a frequency allocation that would allow for smaller, less obtrusive aerial systems, would be very welcome.

I would like to see sufficient spectrum made available to facilitate 40 or 80 channels to accommodate busy city areas and/or the possibility of repeater and/or community audio distribution systems.
A mix of Frequency Modulation, Amplitude Modulation, and Single Side Band, with strict frequency allocations for the mode-usage.
A transmitter power of 4W continuous carrier, 12W peak-envelope-power for SSB.
Aerials to be 1/4-wave, 1/2-wave, or 5/8-wave vertical mono-poles; or 1/2-wave dipoles (vertical or horizontally polarised).
Tone-burst/CTCSS/DCS squelch options.
The facility to use data-modes to allow text operation for both able-bodied and disabled radio users.
Possible reservation of a priority local announcement channel for weather alerts/travel alerts/lost children/etc.
Possible reservation of local farm-net channels to allow farms to keep in touch and broadcast intruder alerts.

The United Kingdom could lead the development of a more user-friendly Citizens' Band service utilising VHF frequencies and I urge Ofcom to consider allocating spectrum for free usage.
Some of it is a wish-list, but I don't see why data-modes have to be the preserve of Radio Amateurs; and some of the features, if used correctly, could be handy in both town and country.
'The Electron' & M0PLT

Image Image
ChelseaCat
Radio Addict
Radio Addict

Post by ChelseaCat »

Blimey you dont want much do you :o :lol:

Nice letter though and I think you have covered everything ;)

I hope more peeps write in, who knows fingers crossed we might actually lead the way this time :D
Otter
Veteran
Veteran
Call Sign: 26TM439

Post by Otter »

Why do people want to restrict the power so much when mobile radios are commonly 25W+ on VHF?
"To this day the words Stirling bridge conjour pride in every Scotsman's heart, while to an Englishman those same words conjour literally no feelings at all." - Cunk on Britain S1 E1
ChelseaCat
Radio Addict
Radio Addict

Post by ChelseaCat »

Well yes again the more power the better I think we just were not being greedy :lol: can you honestly see them giving cb radio 25watts
M0PLT

Post by M0PLT »

ChelseaCat wrote:Blimey you dont want much do you :o :lol:

Nice letter though and I think you have covered everything ;)

I hope more peeps write in, who knows fingers crossed we might actually lead the way this time :D
If you do not ask, you do not get. Some of those idea are from local issues where farms needed to be on the look out for raves, but did not get the need/idea to use CB. And there was once a time when a call-out on 14/19 would have a variety of people rallied around to help. Throwing the CADS idea in is a sweetener. The tone-burst/DCS/CTCSS is to get away from RSSI driven squelch that drives everyone around the bend, and it opens up the door for small repeater systems.
Last edited by M0PLT on 26 Mar 2014, 18:47, edited 1 time in total.
'The Electron' & M0PLT

Image Image
ChelseaCat
Radio Addict
Radio Addict

Post by ChelseaCat »

Well Im happy with whatever you ask for its alot more than what I asked and alot more than what I would have even thought about :D

Where is our voice of the CB UK in all this, haway Dave get the ball rolling dragging your heels matey ;)
M0PLT

Post by M0PLT »

Otter wrote:Why do people want to restrict the power so much when mobile radios are commonly 25W+ on VHF?
National regulators are not about to let the public loose with that sort of power. It is bad enough on 27MHz with people using illegal amplifiers. Think of the problems you could cause if your radio is faulty and a 2nd or 3rd harmonic is amplified and starts wiping out the local TV for thousands of people!

CB is supposed to be a local system, so you can only ever ask for 4 or 5 watts.
'The Electron' & M0PLT

Image Image
delboyonline
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by delboyonline »

Otter wrote:Why do people want to restrict the power so much when mobile radios are commonly 25W+ on VHF?
25 watts = Not going to happen!

We need to keep it real folks, I suggested 1 or 2 watts, small verticals, FM only, and don't bother asking for 40 or 80 channels because yet again 'Not going to happen'!

If we were to be lucky, I'd expect us to get 8 or 10 channels with a 12.5 KHz spacing. Don't forget there are plenty of other services who would like a chunk of spectrum, if we get ANY at all we should count ourselves lucky!

Anyone who has used 2 meters will vouch for the fact that 1 watt into a Watson/Sirio/Moonraker 1m long vertical antenna will get 20-30 miles from home base to home base - Considerably more than you'd get on 27Mhz!

EDIT: If we do get something I'd expect it to be similar to this American system: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Multi-use_Radio_Service