VHF CB Radio/Freenet in the UK?

This is the place to discuss any general CB radio related topics. Getting started, installations, operation etc.
Admiral
Legend
Legend
Call Sign: 26TM157

Re: VHF CB Radio/Freenet in the UK?

Post by Admiral »

Why cater for a few hundred criminals? In the 80's the number of people illegally using CBs was so overwhelming that Government had no choice but to act, it would be cheaper to track down and prosecute todays handful of people who transmit illegally. And yes, I'm no Saint, despite having a VHF and two UHF allocations I can use I have been known to drift out of band, I have radio chums that don't have tickets, and they prefer to pirate elsewhere on the band than on the ham section, but I know what I'm doing and I know the consequences.
Winner of the 2017 IBTL 'Summer Sizzler' competition
Mudslinger
Legend
Legend

Post by Mudslinger »

They could just extend the number of PMR 446 channels, allow more power and external antennas.

Job done.
Mudslinger - Simon
26TM274
26CT612

There is no such thing as a Fidelity 1000 which is too good to scrap.
Admiral
Legend
Legend
Call Sign: 26TM157

Post by Admiral »

It is indeed an old thread, and choked itself to death in the end, I watched it unfold at the time, but didn't bother getting involved because it was pointless as a VHF licence-exempt band will never happen, we only got other CEPT stuff because Europe had it and insisted we had it too, well Brexit has done for that one good and proper.

My argument three years ago would have been the same today, make 2m and 70cm exam-free bands, not licence-exempt, you would still need a licence and submit your full details and get a callsign and maybe hand over an admin fee, but you would get in return what is effectively the current Foundation Licence but only valid on 2/70 at 5w.

There simply are not enough people interested in radio these days to support the hobby. People don't want radio anymore for contacting friends and family, mobile phones do that, so we are left with the people who do it for the fun of it, and there ain't many of us left and we're dying every day with very few replacements.

So, instead of diluting things even further, merge the bands with those that are interested, 2/70 around here are as dead as a Do-Do, so lose the exam which is a bit of a joke anyway, and let some of the 11m diehards onto the V/UHF bands with no drama, they can still do their 11m DX stuff when the band is open, and when it's not they can bring V/UHF back to life.

Just a thought.
Winner of the 2017 IBTL 'Summer Sizzler' competition
LeakyFeeder
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by LeakyFeeder »

Feck that for a laff...last thing i want to hear is a load of loud mouth ten bob knobbers on 2m... leave em where they are spouting daydream nonsense...
26TM5890
Call Sign: 26TM5890

Post by 26TM5890 »

@LeakyFeeder; exactly

@Admiral; if you not even can sit / pass the Foundation test then you should not even own a transceiver in the first place IMHO. may be in your place VHF / UHF is dead but that's not the case where i come from and please let the 11m diehards hug the t555 and stay there. Foundation isn't a joke as you have HF, VHF & UHF to use even with 10 watts there is something to do as if one band is closed another band may be open
Elecraft K2
President Grant II Premium
paulears
Top Poster
Top Poster
Call Sign: G4RMT

Post by paulears »

I don't quite see the point in all this. If you want to be a ham, and do ham stuff - become one. If you don't then CB is available, of you want to talk to your mates, you have CB or PMR446, if if you want greater distances, but again with your mates, the a PMR license and decent equipment. All of this is possible now - so what would be the purpose of any new band, or changes? Does anyone want to do things in the ham bands that they cannot do elsewhere? Ham radio has worldwide numbers - lots of bands, and is well established. The CB DX people often end up as hams because their likes are often better served on different channels. People who wish to chat with people they know and people they don't can do it.

It seems to me the issue is that many users get fed up with idiots spoiling it, and are looking for the same service, and no idiots - but that's a bit of a pointless quest on any radio.
robo70
Regular
Regular

Post by robo70 »

Admiral wrote:
My argument three years ago would have been the same today, make 2m and 70cm exam-free bands, not licence-exempt, you would still need a licence and submit your full details and get a callsign and maybe hand over an admin fee, but you would get in return what is effectively the current Foundation Licence but only valid on 2/70 at 5w.
well thank feck its not up to you {bnghd} .. enough dafties on 11m & PMR 446 without 2m 70cm being invaded !