VHF CB Radio/Freenet in the UK?

This is the place to discuss any general CB radio related topics. Getting started, installations, operation etc.
Adriano9966
Veteran
Veteran

Re: VHF CB Radio/Freenet in the UK?

Post by Adriano9966 »

GeeFull wrote:
ChelseaCat wrote:Just 1 week to go to get your messages sent to Ofcom.
Indeed!
If you fancy a VHF CB band, get your point/desires across soon!
No doubt the legalities and restrictions will be finaly decided upon, by the powers that be, after the initaial agreement to the proposal!
Now that may, or may not, result in specifications, you personaly find palatable, but as some people these days never stick to "letters of the law", and there is little those that do can do about it, don't let that put you off "saying your piece", and making your desires known!
If you truely want it......tell them, if it happens, more power to your elbow, if it doesn't, no-one can say you didn't try! ;)
:) I very much agree we need to push for this to happen then if it all goes pear shaped at least we tried......... it will probably have an influence on the decision if more people reply to the consultation(as many as possible) this will only take a couple of minutes online to do and god only knows people waste ten times that amount of time and more on certain other sites eg the one that ends with .....ook and the other one that rymes with splitter etc
ChelseaCat
Radio Addict
Radio Addict
Call Sign: 26PS001

Post by ChelseaCat »

Well thats it, it all finished at 5pm, lets hope we hear good news, Im not counting my chickens lol but you never know.

Ofcom invites written comments on the questions raised in this consultation, to be submitted to Ofcom by 5pm on 23 May 2014. Ofcom strongly prefers to receive responses in electronic format. This web form will allow you to indicate your data protection preferences and send your views to the team responsible for this consultation.
Anthony123
Call Sign: Gw0

Post by Anthony123 »

Why not just get a Ham licence, These days it couldnt be easier to get one.. Answer a few simple questions and you get HF..VHF and UHF with 10 watts of power.. its that easy...
RadioPixie
Top Poster
Top Poster
Call Sign: 26TM552

Post by RadioPixie »

Why not get a Ham licence has been said over and over and over and over and over again. Not everyone wants to be involved in amateur radio. Many people that are campaigning for VHF/UHF CB have ham tickets any case.

So you don't have to go through all the posts and threads on the subject, one of the ideas behind VHF/UHF CB is licence-exempt access free of interference that is found on 27 MHz, that can be used for various leisure activities and commercial use that can be used by everybody like on CB and PMR446, without the need for passing tests. For example for a group of people in a convoy or out trekking. You can't expect them to all get a foundation licence for an odd trip, plus the terms and conditions of an amateur licence may be broken as it maybe inappropriate.

This regular mantra on TM1 of get a ham licence is narrow minded. If a radio hobbyist wishes to get a foundation licence, they will get one!!
73 from Dave the Pixie - 26CT052 - 26TM552 - CB Radioaficionado
ChelseaCat
Radio Addict
Radio Addict
Call Sign: 26PS001

Post by ChelseaCat »

Ive got a licence lol ,intermediate
Adriano9966
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Adriano9966 »

:D yep I also have a licence(M0) and I fully support the proposal for a cb band on vhf.
;) lets hope the answer is yes
ChrisCSL
Banned
Banned

Post by ChrisCSL »

I'm a Justified Ancient of Gee, and I think it should have been put on 225 Mhz from day one, as per the 'Open Channel' green paper.

But that ship has sailed.
Oggy
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Oggy »

Anthony123 wrote:Why not just get a Ham licence, These days it couldnt be easier to get one.. Answer a few simple questions and you get HF..VHF and UHF with 10 watts of power.. its that easy...
FFS {bnghd}

I too have an M0 call gleaned the old City & Guilds route
GeeFull
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by GeeFull »

ChrisCSL wrote:I'm a Justified Ancient of Gee, and I think it should have been put on 225 Mhz from day one, as per the 'Open Channel' green paper.

But that ship has sailed.
Spot on Chris, it was at the original time of proposal, open for occupation, (220 - 225 ish slot), now of course its full of that pseudo FM digital bull crap they lovingly refer to as digital radio DAB!
Like yourself I am also an Ancient G, and yet I fully accept in these "modern times", if a small VHF slot can't be found for a Citizens licence free allocation, something is going awfully wrong, in the realms of spectrum allocation!
Its not like they are asking for the world! ;)
Gaygordon
Regular
Regular
Call Sign: M0xxx

Post by Gaygordon »

ChelseaCat wrote:Well thats it, it all finished at 5pm, lets hope we hear good news, Im not counting my chickens lol but you never know.

Ofcom invites written comments on the questions raised in this consultation, to be submitted to Ofcom by 5pm on 23 May 2014. Ofcom strongly prefers to receive responses in electronic format. This web form will allow you to indicate your data protection preferences and send your views to the team responsible for this consultation.
Let's hope they quickly say no and we can bury this subject for good
Anon

Post by Anon »

Gaygordon wrote:
ChelseaCat wrote:Well thats it, it all finished at 5pm, lets hope we hear good news, Im not counting my chickens lol but you never know.

I may just get banned for saying this but................

Your a bit of a knob really aren't you?

:lolno: :lolno: :lolno: :lolno: :lolno:

I actually hope we do get this,your in the minority :crazy:

Your one of the growing number of egotistical tits starting to frequent here who live in a parallel dimension where CB on 11 meters is still packed to bursting and nobody cares if you erect a huge antenna :crazy:

I am guessing in your world there's only one thing erect id go and play with that if i were you..........

What a sad little insignificant child you are :yawn:
bigpimp347
Legend
Legend

Post by bigpimp347 »

Gaygordon wrote:

too right..
if people were really bothered about two way communications, but didn't want to be an amateur then they should try to repair what's already there, instead of trying to get new bands started that people won't bother with..

how are these new bands going to be advertised ?? how are current radio users going to know about them ??
where's the audience coming from ??

you'd have thought people would channel their efforts in 27mhz CB, after all nearly 33 years late there is talk of AM/SSB what every one wanted originally, and before it's even here people are talking of having a new band..!!
what about resurrecting 934mhz ?? plenty of radios already out there, and the band is laying dormant, never used.
then there's that 446 band, another free CB band, what's wrong with getting that expanded, or the power levels increased, antenna restrictions changed..

seems some things aren't working and instead of trying to make them work it's easier to just throw it to one side for someone else to fix and start off something new..!!

it wouldn't be a bad idea if it was the 1980's and there were hundreds of thousands of users, but i bet in the UK there's just more that a couple of thousand left..
and you want a new band ?? new radios ?? for what ?? a few locals to chat on and if your lucky a bit of DX ??
I want to Die Asleep like my Grandad did,
Unlike his Passengers, Screaming and Shouting.!
RadioPixie
Top Poster
Top Poster
Call Sign: 26TM552

Post by RadioPixie »

BP has a valid point about repairing what's already there. At least he understands CB and can form an opinion.

But if Ofcom said yes to a low power short range VHF licence-exempt system, I will PMSL :lol: at the naysayers like GG and the rest of the "get a licence" brigade.
73 from Dave the Pixie - 26CT052 - 26TM552 - CB Radioaficionado
GeeFull
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by GeeFull »

bigpimp347 wrote:
Gaygordon wrote:

too right..
if people were really bothered about two way communications, but didn't want to be an amateur then they should try to repair what's already there, instead of trying to get new bands started that people won't bother with..

how are these new bands going to be advertised ?? how are current radio users going to know about them ??
where's the audience coming from ??

you'd have thought people would channel their efforts in 27mhz CB, after all nearly 33 years late there is talk of AM/SSB what every one wanted originally, and before it's even here people are talking of having a new band..!!
what about resurrecting 934mhz ?? plenty of radios already out there, and the band is laying dormant, never used.
then there's that 446 band, another free CB band, what's wrong with getting that expanded, or the power levels increased, antenna restrictions changed..

seems some things aren't working and instead of trying to make them work it's easier to just throw it to one side for someone else to fix and start off something new..!!

it wouldn't be a bad idea if it was the 1980's and there were hundreds of thousands of users, but i bet in the UK there's just more that a couple of thousand left..
and you want a new band ?? new radios ?? for what ?? a few locals to chat on and if your lucky a bit of DX ??
Ok clever clogs!
Yes people should mend the often broken 11 meter offerings of UK27/81, and later mid block!
And yes there is shortly....when it appears to be allocated SSB/AM, sections.
But when was there a concerted effort to ever aquire 446?
Ie campaigns, convoys, protests, and the like?
As I recall it all came about by virtue of international European, agreements, much like LPD!
You as a fully qualified radio amateur still dabble on 27 mHz, by your own admission! Why?
And if 11 meters is good enough for you, despite being qualified to venture elsewhere, at will, why do you decry those others who fancy/desire a simple FM, medium to short range, VHF allocation?
You obviously don't "need" it, you can always use 2 meters if the fancy takes you, but why should the people who don't have access to amateur bands, be denied a bit of spectrum, currently "up for grabs"?
I like you have an amateur licence, to me a VHF CB allocation matters not one jot, I have my VHF/UHF and even above allocations should I choose to use them, but some guys, stuck on 27 mhz, mayhem during daylight hours currently, or "stick to the rules" 446 UHF, DON'T!
Give them a break, get off your high horse, wherever you have it tied up, and let them try, even if unsuccessfuly, to gain a VHF slot, to satisfy their needs!
Its all very well licenced people saying.....wanna spectrum play?.....get a proper licence, but its a bit pots, kettles, and mixed in with the colour black, when the people saying it HAVE a bloody "proper" licence, and STILL dabble on 446/CB!
Hypocrits springs to mind!
Chelsea Cat might seem a little naeive to some people, in his wants and desires, but what he undoubtedly is, is "entheusiastic", about his chosen hobby!
Unlike yourself, who only come across, after years of involvement, qualifciations, and application, as jaded, disgruntled, and on a permenant "its all crap today" downer!
Whether you, me, or Marconi likes it, the newcomers today, will inherit the bands, be they amateur or licence free, and if "all" we have to pass on for posterity is "negativity" and moans, what a legacy for our brief time "on the air"!
Try a bit of encouragement and help, and hopefuly the hobby will continue to flourish, once all us "old fossils" have gone SK!
NiCdeth

Post by NiCdeth »

It will be interesting to see how long 0fcom take to process all the results. I'm betting they will publish the results in February 2016, after arguing that the release is not in the public interest.