Smelly radios

This is the place to discuss any general CB radio related topics. Getting started, installations, operation etc.
Mudslinger
Legend
Legend

Re: Smelly radios

Post by Mudslinger »

Corblimeyguvnar wrote:
Mudslinger wrote:I have managed my first 35 years without smoking so I don't think I will start now. ;)
you aint lived mate

Maybe, but I have seen quite a few of my friends and relatives become ill or die through smoking...

I always hated the smell of it when I was a kid, plus the memories of my grandfather constantly coughing put me off starting.

What you don't have you don't miss. ;)
Mudslinger - Simon
26TM274
26CT612

There is no such thing as a Fidelity 1000 which is too good to scrap.
Oggy
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Oggy »

Talking of "Nick O Teen" any one remember the 70's a-80's adverts.
Anyway back in 1996 I bought a B plate MG Metro off a Lathe Turner who worked under me.
Him and his Mrs went everywhere in this car together (he didn't drive).
They smoked about 60 fags a day each , never did see him without one!! :?
When I restored the car I bought a new interior as it was shot with burns ect,
But the only thing I left in was the headlining which was as yellow as the yellow song by Cold Play :lol:
When you folded the interior sun blinds down , behind them it was white.
I cleaned the headliner with Mr Muscle cooker cleaner.
I have had bad dreams about when spraying it the yellow drips :o :shock:
163TM847
Veteran
Veteran

Post by 163TM847 »

I quite often wash cases in the sink especially the powder coated ones and microphone cases, The amount of times the water is left a sort of goldish colour i think to myself i have been picking this thing up with no gloves on.
Mudslinger
Legend
Legend

Post by Mudslinger »

Well Nicotine can be absorbed through the skin, so picking up dirty radios with bare hands probably isn't a good thing.
Mudslinger - Simon
26TM274
26CT612

There is no such thing as a Fidelity 1000 which is too good to scrap.
TangoCharlie18

Post by TangoCharlie18 »

Actually nicotine is harmless. Addictive yes, but harmless.
Smoking to get Nicotine is very harmful.
Its unlikely that you will want a pack of Mayfair after using a smokers mic.
Whilst i didnt start smoking til i was 30 and stopped last year at 40 i still feel we treat smokers with a little more contempt than it deserves.
Its easier to rant and rave and make coughing noises as a smoker passes you, they are a soft target.
I would be really impressed if i saw that person walk up to a drunk thug pixxing in the street and have a pop at them.
Surprising how the likelihood of getting a slap changes peoples perception and willingness to complain.
Live and let live, a whiff of smoke may not be up your street, but i would rather smell that than someones cheesey socks or smelly pits.
Unhindered by talent
andrew013
Top Poster
Top Poster
Call Sign: 26AT013

Post by andrew013 »

i just go to poundland and get one of those quick valet foam /fabric seat cleaners and a toothbrush gets cases clean , done it for years works a treat
on air,tyne&wear,northumberland,durham,holy island,eu120+eu124 and anywhere from gateshead/north wales
scrap uk 40 give cbers L/M/Hcalling on 27.355/555 usb qsy 27.015 lsb/410 usb cb radio is for life not just for profits
i do cb radio not 11mtres,countrys worked 2015 with imax 2000 72
Mark-in-Essex
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by Mark-in-Essex »

I was at the Canvey Radio Rally yesterday....and I would rather be locked in a room with Dot Cotton and 200 sleeve of B&H than have to stand behind some of those unwashed bearded filthy stinking Hams again..... :lol: :lol: :lol:
CaptainKirk
Radio Addict
Radio Addict
Call Sign: KIRKY

Post by CaptainKirk »

I gave up smoking 9 years ago you do feel better for it and you smell better too.just put a bit of weight on though! I smoked for 24 years. Ive bought a few stinkers of the bay and you know soon as you open the box! the wife hates the smell of stale tobacco. I use servisol foam cleaner and or if I havent got any of that stuff baby wipes.
CAPTAIN KIRK-26TM013/26CT013/26UK013 John mobile South Cheshire.
CaptainKirk
Radio Addict
Radio Addict
Call Sign: KIRKY

Post by CaptainKirk »

Mark-in-Essex wrote:I was at the Canvey Radio Rally yesterday....and I would rather be locked in a room with Dot Cotton and 200 sleeve of B&H than have to stand behind some of those unwashed bearded filthy stinking Hams again..... :lol: :lol: :lol:
I was at a gathering of the great unwashed myself yesterday at Nantwich! :lol:
CAPTAIN KIRK-26TM013/26CT013/26UK013 John mobile South Cheshire.
Farty
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Farty »

Mark-in-Essex wrote:I was at the Canvey Radio Rally yesterday....and I would rather be locked in a room with Dot Cotton and 200 sleeve of B&H than have to stand behind some of those unwashed bearded filthy stinking Hams again..... :lol: :lol: :lol:
CB'ers are more your roll up smokers, licourice papers essential. Maybe Rothmans Royals if they're a bit up themselves.
In Before The Lock Champion of Total Magnificenceness May 2016
Oggy
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Oggy »

5K on an HF radio and not 50p for a bar of Imperial Leather............when I go to Newark it's just the same, smells like an old peoples home Detol and p@ss :lol:
Windy_Miller
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by Windy_Miller »

Mudslinger wrote:I have a radio here that has obviously come from the home of a heavy smoker (Or smokers)

As such it stinks a bit, what do you guys think is the best way of freshening it up?
Binning it and buying something nice, new and fresh instead. Its probably been screwdrivered to death as well.... ;)

Ahhhhh, you cant beat that smell of brand new radio, tinged with polystyrene :mrgreen:
Mark-in-Essex
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by Mark-in-Essex »

Oggy wrote:
5K on an HF radio and not 50p for a bar of Imperial Leather............when I go to Newark it's just the same, smells like an old peoples home Detol and p@ss :lol:

Was at the Kempton Rally late last year Dave and this has to be the worst for filthy unwashed stinking bearded rude radio operators, especially the Bring and Buy corner, I was trapped in the corner for a few minutes, but I fought my way out, but I felt violated, raped even by the smell and odour, you can stand next to a smoker and the smell will dissipate after a while....but a smelly radio op :shock: the smell lingers, encases you, wraps around you, until you feel like a chunder Image .
Oggy
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Oggy »

Mark-in-Essex wrote:
Oggy wrote:

Was at the Kempton Rally late last year Dave and this has to be the worst for filthy unwashed stinking bearded rude radio operators, especially the Bring and Buy corner, I was trapped in the corner for a few minutes, but I fought my way out, but I felt violated, raped even by the smell and odour, you can stand next to a smoker and the smell will dissipate after a while....but a smelly radio op :shock: the smell lingers, encases you, wraps around you, until you feel like a chunder Image .
Mate, why is the hobby full of these types??.
When we went to Newark the dirty bleeders barge past you, infact one knocked into my Mrs.
They wouldn't last five minutes at a Scooter rally :o
I've never known people so rude in my life TBH.
When you go to Dayton in the USA or the big German Hamfest you never see these dirty soap dodging wreches like you do in the UK.
Plus half of them think they invented radio prior to Marconi .
By the way I've just watched your video.......it says it all :lol: :lol:
cubwolf
Radio Addict
Radio Addict
Call Sign: M3CBY

Post by cubwolf »

Servisol Foam Cleanser for me.

Spray it on and watch the crap run off.
Brilliant stuff ;)