which is the very best ukfm cb radio

This is the place to discuss any general CB radio related topics. Getting started, installations, operation etc.
WARLOCK
Top Poster
Top Poster
Call Sign: 26TM134

which is the very best ukfm cb radio

Post by WARLOCK »

as i live way out in the sticks of east anglia what in your opion is the very best receiving ukfm cb radio new or old style ?
wheel bender
Veteran
Veteran

Re: which is the very best ukfm cb radio

Post by wheel bender »

The biggest surprise we got was with a harrier cbx on a sirio 145? (smallish mobile antenna) versus a moded receive 148gtl dx on a sirio3ooo. Both cars were on high ground next to each other. The cbx was receiving audible stations that the cobra wasn't hearing? I've always rated the receive on the 134 boarded cybernets. My mate was that disgusted with his cobra that I'm pretty certain he's not used it since. So If it's rx with reasonable ch rejection you want, then rotel rvc 240, york 863,harrier cbx, 'halford's' barracuda/saphire x 4000, binatone 5star, fidelity 2000,
I've never run a cybernet beta? if that's what they're called (it resembles a 240 in colour but has less controls) I would imagine they should have a very similar receive. There might be other 27/81 radios that can hear more, but they will also hear things from too many other chs.....ie, fidelity 1,000 and it's clones. There are tricks to improving the tx on these 134 boarded radios that will help you to get out as well as you receive. Other people will suggest the audioline/uniace radios, but from experience I've found that the tx is excellent whilst the rx is a little too filtered,
Wheel Bender 1982-88/ 2007- ???
27+ countries since 2007
keeping the older radios on air. Not in the cupboard or the past.
80ch legal- America on ukfm- CB radio can be better 2nd time around.
Mudslinger
Legend
Legend

Post by Mudslinger »

Uniden/Audioline for me.

They lack a slight amount of sensitivity compared to Cybernet boarded rigs, but the adjacent channel rejection is much better IMO, and the squelch action is nicer.
Mudslinger - Simon
26TM274
26CT612

There is no such thing as a Fidelity 1000 which is too good to scrap.
overide333

Post by overide333 »

I have to say cybernet as well.
Yaesu FT450, ss9900 for mobile.

26-AL-34 Andy
wheel bender
Veteran
Veteran

Post by wheel bender »

The channel rejection is better but the altimate receive is comprimised when compared with a binatone 5 star/cbx. I've had three of the larger uniden/audiolines but got fed up of the sanitized rx BUT you'll never get fed up of the tx audio reports on one.
Wheel Bender 1982-88/ 2007- ???
27+ countries since 2007
keeping the older radios on air. Not in the cupboard or the past.
80ch legal- America on ukfm- CB radio can be better 2nd time around.
M0MTH
Radio Addict
Radio Addict
Call Sign: M0MTH

Post by M0MTH »

Amstrad 901
MrWeetabix
Admin
Admin
Call Sign: 26TM175

Post by MrWeetabix »

26TM175. OP: Craig. QTH: Gateshead IO94EW. Also 163TM175 when mobile in Wales 8)

Transmission1 on Facebook http://tinyurl.com/TM1onFB | Tango Mike on Facebook http://tinyurl.com/TangoMikeFB |
Mark-in-Essex
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by Mark-in-Essex »

For mobile of homebase use?.....the antenna is the thing to concentrate on more so than the radio.
MrWeetabix
Admin
Admin
Call Sign: 26TM175

Post by MrWeetabix »

Mark-in-Essex wrote:For mobile of homebase use?.....the antenna is the thing to concentrate on more so than the radio.
[MrWeetabix liked this]
26TM175. OP: Craig. QTH: Gateshead IO94EW. Also 163TM175 when mobile in Wales 8)

Transmission1 on Facebook http://tinyurl.com/TM1onFB | Tango Mike on Facebook http://tinyurl.com/TangoMikeFB |
scott

Post by scott »

WARLOCK1946 wrote:as i live way out in the sticks of east anglia what in your opion is the very best receiving ukfm cb radio new or old style ?
re your post go for a audioline 431 or reaslistic trc 2000 you will not go wrong (old school ) ?
Adriano9966
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Adriano9966 »

:D
MrWeetabix wrote:Image
:D yes I agree on balance though back in the day I would have opted for the uniden/audioline everytime because selectivity was really important due to there being at least 7 operators on cb to every street

If I was buying a dedicated 27/81 transceiver now I would go for sensitivity
so perhaps the york or the rotel transceivers back in the day I had a friend in the villiage of ettington near stratford upon avon he swore by them and his york coupled with a leson base mike sounded awesome if you listened to the receiver you could hear weak signals that you could never hear on my uniace 100 :)
UGLY_BOB
Legend
Legend

Post by UGLY_BOB »

Just to throw a little petrol on the fire... for RX the Midland 3001 / 4001 can do sterling work. I've used a 4001 in the Uglimobile for a while now, and it pulls in distant stations better than many of the 'favourites'.
Binatone 5 Star - York - Rotel - Uniace - Audioline... A well set up 3001 or 4001 can equal or exceed them all.
Ugs
EXTREMELY WEIRD... AVOID AT ALL COSTS !

northern35s
Veteran
Veteran

Post by northern35s »

I wouldn't have thought channel rejection is a priority these days, sensitivity being number one, then of course a decent transmitted audio, that means NO echo, which rig is the best? I'm not sure, maybe one of the above :lol:
Mobile DXing from the car and on foot
Adriano9966
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Adriano9966 »

:D aw come on just a little bit of echo is nice not too much though :lol:
scott

Post by scott »

Adriano9966 wrote::D aw come on just a little bit of echo is nice not too much though :lol:
i think so too lincoln and a sedalta echomaster plus and slight echo