Which Linear?

This is the place to discuss any general CB radio related topics. Getting started, installations, operation etc.
g0slq
Top Poster
Top Poster

Which Linear?

Post by g0slq »

Assuming a future purchase of extra wattage... what amplifiers are around? - to date i looked at Knights, there was a CTE for ?29.95 - seems a silly price, is it not linear? is it useless?

Other amps were much more. Any comments - way back when, it was simple with Bremi and Zetagi :)
Panteneman
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by Panteneman »

Do you mean the CTE 747?

Oh yes, it's a good un and it DOES WORK despite being deceptively cheap.

I have bought an RM KL 203, 100W AM/FM & 200W SSB - Also a corker. Small and wee too, only about as big as two boxes of fags.

Won bid recently on one. This is a great linear too :D
Speaking to people in foreign lands, with various configurations of copper wire in various strange shapes - my friends think I'm committing acts of witchcraft...
g0slq
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by g0slq »

Oh well, I've ordered it now (CTE amp) along with some other stuff. I've loads of old "junk" from old CB days, amazing that when it comes to it now, I have to replace everything from PL's, patchleads, even bought a cheapo SWR mtr.

Time for a new car soon - tiny Micra not going to carry all this stuff.
Panteneman
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by Panteneman »

If it's the model I mentioned, it should be cool (CTE 747).

Is it just me, or is there a large renaissance of CB / 11m SSBer's returning back to the air, fishing their stuff out of the cupboards and attics? Seems to be spreading, a fair quantity of users appear to have returned. The timing is a bit off, with it being a sunspot minimum - they should have done this c.1999 - 2000, ah well, at least they returned anyway! :lol:

Certainly not a bad thing :D
Speaking to people in foreign lands, with various configurations of copper wire in various strange shapes - my friends think I'm committing acts of witchcraft...
Animal

RE: Which Linear?

Post by Animal »

Personally I'd avoid Zetagi & CTE - I've yet to see one provide anywhere near the claimed output - RM are far better amps IMHO (still not in the Linear Amp Challenger III league - but neither are the prices!) :D
Rig ~ Tomy Baby Monitor (8 Pill)
Mic ~ Heil Element in a Pot Noodle Cup
Ant ~ Two co-phased coathangers
Power ~ Running off two lemons
Amp ~ Soviet Tetrode driving a flux-capacitor
Rotator ~ Cement mixer motor with dimmer switch
Animal

RE: Which Linear?

Post by Animal »

Hey Mark - how's the George doing?
Rig ~ Tomy Baby Monitor (8 Pill)
Mic ~ Heil Element in a Pot Noodle Cup
Ant ~ Two co-phased coathangers
Power ~ Running off two lemons
Amp ~ Soviet Tetrode driving a flux-capacitor
Rotator ~ Cement mixer motor with dimmer switch
Panteneman
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by Panteneman »

Generating a fair bit of interest, by the looks of it.

Fingers crossed.
g0slq
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by g0slq »

Panteneman wrote:If it's the model I mentioned, it should be cool (CTE 747).

Is it just me, or is there a large renaissance of CB / 11m SSBer's returning back to the air, fishing their stuff out of the cupboards and attics? Seems to be spreading, a fair quantity of users appear to have returned. The timing is a bit off, with it being a sunspot minimum - they should have done this c.1999 - 2000, ah well, at least they returned anyway! :lol:

Certainly not a bad thing :D
Well it is niced to welcomed from amateur back to CB - can't say it was always so friendly the other way round :wink:

It got so bad, I even had to sell my beloved TS811E 70cm multimode - an awsome radio because it was only used for local 70cm repeaters - a ?50 handy could do that. 70cm - a whole 10mhz of bandwidth, unused, but nobody else can have it.

I hope there are more to follow...I have a York 863, and a Rotel 240 from the old days, the latter bequeathed by a dear old lady CB'er - so will never part with it. A Hy Gain 5 somewhere!! and countless bits of "junk"
ScotchEgg
Top Poster
Top Poster
Call Sign: 26TM742

Post by ScotchEgg »

I have the same general opinion on Zetagi and most CTE amps,
HOWEVER the CTE747 is and always has been a belter.
I have 1 here that does OVER the stated rating!!!
Will do 100W with 8w in! I was also amazed, I had one several years ago and it did the full 100w also. I prefer the RM stuff tho. I was disappointed in a KL200p I( had last year did only 80w MAX but my KL400p does kik ass also topping its ratings. I had a few B300's all crap with rediculous delays. all IMO.
The legend of the "Scotch Egg".
"unique in my duplicity"

UGLY BOB on SCOTCH EGG... "I kinda had you pictured as the sort who would enjoy beating the bejesus out of people with a four foot dildo."