Scanning in KENT area! - Where's ALL the action all gone?

Scanning radio frequencies for the South East
kent detective
Regular
Regular

Scanning in KENT area! - Where's ALL the action all gone?

Post by kent detective »

Hello Guys,

I found this helpful forum quite by mistake. Seems a great hang out for scanning nuts eh?

I have just found my old scanner - a very small handheld Yausu 120.

I remember listening to local plod on 450-453 mhz but can get nothing now. Also the local Kent Fire Brigade on 70.8375 mhz gone too! That left the Ambulance Service on 166 Mhz thats gone too!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1

Forgive me for asking you guys but whats the point listening to Council rubbish and private companies? It's really boring now....

I'm despondant that everything has gone over to Tetra (Digital). I think I may just throw the scanner away and wait for something to come on the market that will de-crypt TETRA signals. It's sure to come in time. I suspect that if you have access to hoardes of money it can already be done now. The costs will reduce once the market levels out a bit.

Until then guys - I'm off.

All the very best to you all.
ChrisUK

Re: Scanning in KENT area! - Where's ALL the action all gone?

Post by ChrisUK »

You're ganner have to wait a Very Very Very Very long time untill they can get up to scratch with Tetra.
First they need to find out how to decode it.....( i think that might of already been done).
Then they need the prossesor to keep up with the decoder, as it scrambles (Change's binary code) every 2 minutes (think that might of been done/cracked as well).
Then they need to find away to log on to the system as a Ghost or a Shadow, as at the moment the system will only let the radio's access the system that are programmed in to it and if it get's a duplicate code it throws them both out/off and so far no one has cracked it.
The system programmers know how to do it, but i guess they have sighned the offical secrets act, so untill someone pay's them enough money, we will never find out.

In the meantime get yourself an outdoor aerial for it and then when you are board do a scan and find some new thing's to listern to on your 120.
Depend's where you are in kent, as to what you can listern to, that might be a bit interesting.
RADIOS: Kenwood TS-140S, President Lincoln, Kenwood TMD-700e.
AERIAL'S:Antron 99, Spitfire 3Ele, Diamond X510, Spinger(Red).
nordhavn
Radio Addict
Radio Addict

Post by nordhavn »

Where about in kent ? you have the wannabe cops at the uni in canterbury .
GBHgpJON

Post by GBHgpJON »

Bye........
26TM095
26SWB014
mikecharlie
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by mikecharlie »

Cut and pasted from elsewhere, relating to the above discussion:

With the right piece of equiptment it is easier than you'd think to intercept TETRA signals, and do it 'off air.'
In other words the unit is capable of decoding in real time , and it doesnt need to authenticate itself onto the system, (lika PC Plods handheld), thereby invisible to the system. (apparently I'll reitrerate)
Problem is where to find one of these units ,and its supposedly available handheld.
A stolen / lost PC plod handheld would only work untill they notice it on the system , and deselect it from the system.
Radio, wall of sound, coming up from my tower...
Radio, wall of sound, 24 hours of power...........!!!
7hz
Regular
Regular

Post by 7hz »

mikecharlie wrote:With the right piece of equiptment it is easier than you'd think to intercept TETRA signals, and do it 'off air.'
In other words the unit is capable of decoding in real time , and it doesnt need to authenticate itself onto the system, (lika PC Plods handheld), thereby invisible to the system. (apparently I'll reitrerate)
Problem is where to find one of these units ,and its supposedly available handheld.
A stolen / lost PC plod handheld would only work untill they notice it on the system , and deselect it from the system.
Surely you'd need to be in close range of the police HH to do this though, as I was under the impression they are low power devices that use the mobile networks?

So say further than 500m or so in the city, forget it.

If it was easy, everyone would be doing it.
Scott_93
Call Sign: Sunray20Alph

Post by Scott_93 »

7hz wrote:
mikecharlie wrote:With the right piece of equiptment it is easier than you'd think to intercept TETRA signals, and do it 'off air.'
Surely you'd need to be in close range of the police HH to do this though, as I was under the impression they are low power devices that use the mobile networks?

So say further than 500m or so in the city, forget it.

If it was easy, everyone would be doing it.
Nope, once your into the network, you have the possiblilty to listen to any talkgroup on the airwave network regardless of location, ie you can be in Glasgow and listen to Hammersmith's (MetPol) divisional channel. There is various attacks you could throw at the system, which to my knowledge hasn't been done.

Look at the tender requirements that was placed when they decided that a new system was chosen. I beleive it stated; "secure from all monitoring apart from the most determined". When sufficently determined anything can be done.

But let's get one thing straight, the HO don't like people listening to there comms, and never have, so if someone one day did find a way in I bet they'd keep bloody quiet about it.

Let's discuss what you'd be charged and put on trial for, wireless telegraphy act offence's, possibly terrorism offences, possibly misuse of computer offences. The list goes on, so unless your THE boffin or know him like a brother and you sit around doing nothing just hoping, then you can dream on. After all why should they share for free when they have one very potentially priceless machine to someone :)

Scott.
7hz
Regular
Regular

Post by 7hz »

Scott_93 wrote:once your into the network, you have the possiblilty to listen to any talkgroup on the airwave network regardless of location, ie you can be in Glasgow and listen to Hammersmith's (MetPol) divisional channel.
The important quote is "once your into the network".

MikeCharlie says "do it 'off air'", which implies to me you are not on the network.
Scott_93 wrote:There is various attacks you could throw at the system, which to my knowledge hasn't been done.
Probably because none who would know how to do that is stupid enough to try it?
Scott_93 wrote:When sufficently determined anything can be done.
I agree, but the same could be said for hacking into bank website or whatever.
Scott_93 wrote:But let's get one thing straight, the HO don't like people listening to there comms, and never have
It is against the law to passively listen, never mind to actively hack!
Scott_93 wrote:Let's discuss what you'd be charged and put on trial for, wireless telegraphy act offence's, possibly terrorism offences, possibly misuse of computer offences. The list goes on
Indeed it does. You could, and probably would, get the book thrown at you IMHO. The most serious charges would be hacking into a government organisation, probably followed by disrupting emergency services, terrorism, wireless act etc etc. It would probably amount to jail time.

Not exactly something your average enthusiast is interested in for the sake of passing a Sunday afternoon listening to the rozzers!
ChrisUK

Post by ChrisUK »

But....if you could log on to the system as a ghost, then they would not know that you are there and then you would not be charged with anything.
It's just finding the person that is willing to tell you how to and i bet there is not anyone in this country that know's how to.
The system controller's can only log on with their own code to do update's and change's and i bet they wont sell that to anyone without going to prison.

I read somewhere a couple of years ago, that the boffins came up with, it would take 5 people with super computers 15 years to crack it, or 1 person with a standard computer 15,000 years........and by that time they would of changed it to 512 or 1024 encryption so it would take evern longer again.

But i guess never say never....someone will get there in the end.

I did see an reciever advertised on the net last year that said it could recieve it, but that was £25.000......i dont like listerning that much.
RADIOS: Kenwood TS-140S, President Lincoln, Kenwood TMD-700e.
AERIAL'S:Antron 99, Spitfire 3Ele, Diamond X510, Spinger(Red).
iansradios
Radio Addict
Radio Addict

Post by iansradios »

I know for a fact it has been done,by someone on these boards,although it has all been hushed up,,yet the person in question is being charged with only trying to get hold of the special software! shame really as they should employ the chap.
mikecharlie
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by mikecharlie »

As far as I know, there are measures against to try to log onto the system, as a already authorized , duplicated / cloned unit. (ghost unit etc...)

If you scan from 380 to 400 ish I think it is, youll hear the constant 12.5 Kkz spaced signal being used by the network.

Nothing can can prevent the signals ' leaking out' to be recieved by anything,, anytwhere, including a scanner, you can do that already, youre listening to that awful, harsh sounding digital signal .

I suppose then , that somehow, the voice messages are in that signal, it just need to be extracted somehow.....

....... and according to what has been openly published, an off air monitor is capable of doing just that, intercepting the signal ' off air i.e. it doesnt need to log on to the system' and extracting the voice comms.

Surely there must there will be government Depts who might want to ckeck what PC Plod is doing time to time, and theyll want to be invisible to the controll room , the above equiptment is ideal for that purpose.
Radio, wall of sound, coming up from my tower...
Radio, wall of sound, 24 hours of power...........!!!
Scott_93
Call Sign: Sunray20Alph

Re: Scanning in KENT area! - Where's ALL the action all gone

Post by Scott_93 »

There us ways to not show up on the controllers set. . . . Its called "test" or "engineering " mode, so engineer can test tlkgrps without showing as a active asset. Airwave engineers can still see you but with the amount of talkgroups on the network, finding your radio in particular out of all the 10000's on the network is not an easy task.

Scott.
radiosification
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by radiosification »

ChrisUK wrote: I did see an reciever advertised on the net last year that said it could recieve it, but that was £25.000......i dont like listerning that much.
£25? I would have bought that, thats cheap.
If you're interested in digital voice, check out my YouTube channel:
http://www.youtube.com/radiosification
310den
Radio Addict
Radio Addict

Post by 310den »

bben95 wrote:
ChrisUK wrote: I did see an reciever advertised on the net last year that said it could recieve it, but that was £25.000......i dont like listerning that much.
£25? I would have bought that, thats cheap.
:lol: Me thinks he meant a comma, not a full stop. :geek: Damn modern technology, spoils all our fun!
kent detective
Regular
Regular

Post by kent detective »

Hello chaps,

By way of update I would like to add the following -

I have spent time on Radio Reference website and seen many hundreds of links to POLICE radio throughout USA and Australia.

QUESTION -

Why does OUR own law enforcement bodies get so damn worried about allowing citizens to hear what they are up to when most of the rest of the civilised world is allowing such practices to go on?

I see that hundreds of USA Police Departments actually encourage this kind of monitoring and have offical links to their radio frequencies!

Another example of Rip off Britain - The powers to be deny us all the oppertunity to listen in and find out exactly what they are doing with all the money WE give them!

Did you know the policing budget (Home Office) has increased by 100% in the past 10 years? Yet all we hear from the failed politicians is that the police don't have the proper resources to do the job effectively. Take London for instance - there are now 35,000 bobbies on the beat. In 1980 there were only 25,000.

Dare I say it but it appears that all this immigration has utterly changed the face of OUR country. Alien cultures have been imported which includes foreign criminals.

Then there is the secrecy thing - It's a members only club and YOU aren't a member so we are not letting you listen to us. The British are well known for over-reacting to security threats throughout the world.

This Airwave thing is yet another example of our leaders trying to hookwink us.

The fact that so many USA law enforcement agencies publish there radio frequencies online proves we over here are being controlled and minipulated by a bunch of failed anti-British politicians.

When will YOU all learn and stop voting for the failed 3 political parties? Nothing will EVER change until you learn this lesson? Our own version of democracy goes a bit like this - Lab, Con, Lab, Lab, Lab, Con, Con, Con, CONDEM and on it goes.......

GET REAL AND SNAP OUT OF IT! Vote anything except these failed political parties full to the brim with self serving anti-British traitors.

I wonder when Kent Police will consider allowing the great unwashed (law abiding tax payers in other words) to listen what they are doing with the open cheque book we have given to them?

More money = closed police stations and more bogus and unwanted (by us anyway) policeman (aka PCSO's). I could bloody cry.....

Have you realised yet how the Police in the UK are starting to treat us ALL like potential future criminals? This is the biggest single reason why the people are no longer supporting the police. Then there is the uniform - British bobbies turned into SOLDIERS and our soldiers turned into world policeman.

And before you ask - I'm a retired police office myself (23 years). I could cry what has happened to the service I gave my life too...

Aplogies for the political rant however, I do think the two are linked in this conversation.

I say open up the UK radio spectrum to us ALL, that way we could see the real picture instead of having to rely upon bogus facts and figures carefully prepared (doctored) and then given to us by Chief Constables...