m60 manchester

Scanning radio frequencies for the North West
THE_SNAIL

m60 manchester

Post by THE_SNAIL »

anyone know what the aerial farm is next to the m60.there are 4 large ones and some small ones
M3 ZMO
Andy
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by Andy »

Whereabouts, Mr Snail? Over on the East side (near Ashton under Lyne) there are two MW transmitter sites on Ashton Moss. There are 3 tall verticals for Capital Gold on 1458KHz, a smaller one for Asian Sound and then four very tall verticals for Magic 1152.
They can be seen for miles around and the signals from them here in Dukinfield are rock-crushing.
'SOMEONE GET ME A SAW!'
Andy.
THE_SNAIL

Post by THE_SNAIL »

not too sure where but i had been working in stalybridge and i got on the m60 near the retail park.the 4 large aerials are all identical.if it is the same place ,how long have they been there?
M3 ZMO
Andy
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by Andy »

Yup, they're the ones. The four masts have been there since 1974, when Piccadilly Radio came on. It's now called Magic 1152. BBC Radio Manchester started using the 3 masts there at about the same time (I think). Since then, Radio Manchester has gone FM only from Holme Moss in the Pennines and the 3 masts have been used by several MW stations, currently Capital Gold. The smaller mast (a white one only about 60 feet tall with a capacity hat) belongs to Asian sound.
(takes off anorak).
'SOMEONE GET ME A SAW!'
Andy.