467.525, ship comms & security guards?

Scanning radio frequencies for the North West
5thElement
Veteran
Veteran

467.525, ship comms & security guards?

Post by 5thElement »

I came across this frequency last night and i heard 2 foreign people speaking in a language i couldn't recognise. I looked up the frequency and it seems to be on board ship communications? which would make sense as i live near a couple of docks and theres always boats there.

This morning on the same frequency i heard security guards of somesort in the city centre, giving out descriptions of people to look out for, sounded like your typical shop/cctv security guards.

At the moment (17:15) im hearing a combination of both local accents, and also foreigners (possibly french) both coming through on the same frequency.

Does anyone know who should be the main users of this frequency?
2E0XGA
Panteneman
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by Panteneman »

Greetings 5th,

I have the following answers.

What you heard was definetly "On Board Ship Communications", and their frequencies are as follows:

Frequency (and paired with - International allocation):
457.525 - 467.525
457.550 - 467.550
457.575 - 467.575

Frequency (and paired with - US / Canada System):
457.525 - 467.750
457.550 - 467.775
457.575 - 467.800
457.600 - 467.825

All the above is in NFM.

And, seeing as you are next to the ports DEFO pipe them in. I imagine you will get Marine traffic all the time perfectly.

Down my neck of the woods, it's intermittant as I am something like 20miles away and VHF Marine signals get heavily attenuated the further inland you go. But, I get Liverpool Coastguard weather forcasts come through at RST 59. For reliably strong Marine band transmissions, I am forced to check out HF :(

I can supply you with the VHF channels they use, if you wish...

Hope this helps...
Speaking to people in foreign lands, with various configurations of copper wire in various strange shapes - my friends think I'm committing acts of witchcraft...
5thElement
Veteran
Veteran

Post by 5thElement »

Thanks for the reply.

I wouldn't mind the channels :) i've never actually listened out for much marine band stuff, i guess i should though having the albert docks etc on my doorstep.
2E0XGA
Panteneman
Top Poster
Top Poster

UHF ship based comms, and VHF Marine channels enquiry

Post by Panteneman »

Greetings once more 5th,

Here is a link of the VHF Marine channels (International, frequencies used apply to EVERYWHERE). Clicky the link below dude! :D

http://www.ukseakayakguidebook.co.uk/sh ... annels.htm

And, here are the channels used for your area (Liverpool, Merseyside):

Description (and channels used):
Mersey radio 09, 12, 16, 18, 19, 22
Alfred & Gladstone Docks 05
Tranmere Stages 09
Garston & Waterloo Docks 20
Langton Dock 21

Manchester shipping canals:
Eastham Locks 07, 14
Latchford Locks 14,20
Weaver Navigation & Weston Point 74
Marsh, Dutton, & Saltisford Locks 74
Anderton Depot 74
Speaking to people in foreign lands, with various configurations of copper wire in various strange shapes - my friends think I'm committing acts of witchcraft...
5thElement
Veteran
Veteran

RE: UHF ship based comms, and VHF Marine channels enquiry

Post by 5thElement »

Thanks for the link and the channels :) Will make sure i listen out on the Liverpool ones.

In regard to the 467.525 in use during the day, it seems to be "city watch", all the shops (or atleast alot of them) seem to be linked together and also linked to a main cctv place. I heard loads today, for example stuff like "next to disney store, are you receiving....we've just spotted an IC1 male, black tracksuit with a red bag, we've found jewelery packets opened up and he's heading towards your store now, keep an eye out for him" and they were following people from store to store and busting shoplifters. Quite an interesting channel to monitor. I did hear "channel 2" being mentioned sometimes though, but i can't seem to find that one.
2E0XGA
Panteneman
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by Panteneman »

Interesting stuff 5th,

I have noticed that there seems to be a lot of juicy radio traffic if you do a scan between 400-470mhz. I reckon that the UHF on board ship comms would only use radio's that are something like PMR446 strength or 2W RF on TX at the most, so you would pretty much have to be on top of them to recieve those transmissions....maybe.

From what I gather, you are getting a mix of these ship based UHF comms and shopwatch.

You will defo get VHF Marine traffic though. Over at my GF's gaff, there seems to be a nice window into North Wales and I often recieve Welsh UHF emergency service stuff. Shopwatch frequencies will be crawling with traffic with the run up to December.

Regarding Shopwatch frequencies, also check out the PMR446 frequecies in your area. As, more often than not (as I discovered in Manchester) a LOT of places use these as inter-shop comms, and it wouldn't suprise me if they were also using the GMRS/FRS allocations that should by rights not be used in this country.

I shall have to take a trip to Liverpool soon with my Uniden UBC72XLT close call scanner, and see if it stumbles over some shop watch transmissions, which I will probably more likely than not post on this hallowed forum. I REALLY RECOMMEND one of those things, mine only set me back ?67 second hand.
5thElement
Veteran
Veteran

Post by 5thElement »

Definately loads of shops using PMR446 here, hear it all the time "can i have a size 16 in the black dress, you know the one..with the sparkly bits..and a twisty strap" lol

That "citywatch" channel is really interesting, been listening to it most days now, it's good hearing it and knowing exactly where they are and know what streets etc they're talking about. Would be fun to put some headphones on and walk around following the shoplifters they're talking about on the radio lol

Close call scanner sounds good, must come in really handy for alot of stuff.
2E0XGA
Panteneman
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by Panteneman »

5thElement wrote:Would be fun to put some headphones on and walk around following the shoplifters they're talking about on the radio lol

Close call scanner sounds good, must come in really handy for alot of stuff.
Yep, and quite f*****g scary when stuff breaks out, and you SEE the very Shopwatch staff and the chav's in question leg it with stolen whatever it is, with all the action unfolding before you're very eyes. While (to the casual observer) looks like I'm listening to some form of portable stereo.

It's like experiencing the event in Dolby Surrond, as you can hear them ON the scanner AND in person in front of you! LMAO!

Close call scanners RULE :twisted: