Airband on UHF

Scanning radio frequencies for the North West
5thElement
Veteran
Veteran

Airband on UHF

Post by 5thElement »

I was scanning through the Kington radio i won on here last night and to my surprise came across aircraft activity on 455.6375. So i googled it and i found a list of UHF frequencies in use by John Lennon Airport (on Ofcom of all places lol) and i've since noticed it's also listed in the stickied thread on this forum. Turns out it's the tower frequency.

My question is, what is the purpose of these being on UHF? i presume it's just a repeater for the VHF AM signal? if so, why?

For anyone interested here's the file i found on Ofcom

http://www.ofcom.org.uk/static/archive/ ... /liver.pdf
2E0XGA
Andy
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by Andy »

I think they are just relays for the local use of ground staff etc. I often listen to it on UHF as it is a cracking signal here about 10 miles from Manchester airport. If you tune around the same area, you may find cleaners, caterers and security staff, all between 455 and 457 MHz.
'SOMEONE GET ME A SAW!'
Andy.
5thElement
Veteran
Veteran

Post by 5thElement »

I'll have a listen, cheers :)
2E0XGA
Panteneman
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by Panteneman »

Cool stuff, I will also checky...

There's a thing, the UHF aircraft band allocation 225.000-328.600mhz AM

I would love to pipe some millitary aircraft band stuff into the scanner. I could probably receive BAE Warton Aerodrome, and pick up Woodvale.

Anybody know any currently used frequencies for the North West area?

Guys, don't forget checking HF for all the transatlantic aircraft (particularly active between 5.480-5.730mhz USB - you will get Shannon VOLMET blasting through on 5.505mhz USB).

I remember being able to track Concorde on a Realistic 2002 scanner and then use the Panasonic RF3100L to track them on HF on my Dad's gear. That was really cool listening when I was small and wee (aged between 7-10yo, I was a uber geeky kid LMAO).

:D

Check this out for more info: http://guide.aoruk.com/afreq.asp
Speaking to people in foreign lands, with various configurations of copper wire in various strange shapes - my friends think I'm committing acts of witchcraft...
5thElement
Veteran
Veteran

Post by 5thElement »

I reckon you'll need alot more patience trying to listen to military airband, going on the assumption that there isnt hundreds of fighter jets in the sky at any given time lol opposed to regular commercial aircraft. No doubt when there is activity though it's bound to be a bit more interesting!
2E0XGA